MS 361? Dolmar 5100? decisions decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K., here's the feedback!

Me and my buddy went too the farm today to do some deer hunting and we took our saws along for a load of oak. He is running a ms250.....I had the new 361.
My .02!

Performance.....better than I expected....I'm sold!
Handling.... again...better than I expected.....easy too handle and well balanced.
fuel efficiency.....I started out with a full tank....we cut down and firewooded a black oak that was 18" base.....he started at the top...I started at the trunk...we met in the middle 15 minutes later.....the whole tree lay flat on the ground....all was sectioned into 14" pieces (about). I still had over 1/2 tank of fuel left. Also had a little over 1/2 tank of bar oil so I think its oiling adequately...I checked the bar and it had oil.

On a scale of 1-10 I would hafta give the Stihl MS361 a solid 10! I dont know what they could do too make it a better firewood saw!.

The husky 36 I just redone got a nice workout on some sassafrass too!!! Ran great.....seems too have plenty of power for a small saw. Great limbing saw.

As far as the bar length goes.....the 20 seems too work out good...but I still think the 18" would be the ultimate in handling.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lmfao

it won't be quite as "efficient" or enviromentally friendly:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I know I know Andy... It still cracks me up whenever I hear someone talking about being environmentally friendly when they are talking about CHAINSAWS that are made to cut down trees, lmao... Like I'm worried about environmentally friendly chainsaws with all these dipsh1ts running around in their SUV's getting 5mpg... I'd say all the chainsaws in the entire U.S. don't equal what half of San Diego puts out in pollution for a day. On a side note, I'd REALLY like to get my hands on a 361 if I had the money to do it... I've got a buddy who's a chainsaw/small engine mechanic and asked him if the 361 really was THAT good. He was the same dude that led me to buying my Dolmars. Without even flinching, and all he does for a living is fix chainsaws and small engines, ANY BRAND, he flat out said the 361 was hands down the BEST saw in it's class with fewer problems than any other new saw he'd seen or worked on... I pretty much take what he says to the bank as far as that stuff goes. As far as the 361 or the 5100, they are 2 totally different saws, much less hp on the 5100, but it's an excellent saw that has it's place for sure. I can't wait to get one of those either...

:cheers::clap:

Dude

well... once you mount the "special" muffler,, it won't be quite as "efficient" or enviromentally friendly:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

WHAT you sent one to him also? I thought I bought the last one that was going to be ever produced? lol How many more grams does a lakerized muffler weigh compared to a stock muffler? So i can get a rough estimate of what ST's pig Arctic 361 weighs.

Ok I'm going to have to shave some unneeded plastic off of my 361 to make up those 8.76453 grams.

Hey gang!
I've decided too go buy me a new saw this morning....after reading here and trying too make up my mind.....its looking like a 5100 dolmar...or a 361 stihl!
The dolmar dealer is 30 miles down the road.....I have 3 stihl dealers that are full service within 5 miles of the house...so the stihl is winning right now. I have a bandmill and we do some light logging, but mostly, I cut a lot of firewood in the 20" and down range. I'm 44 years old and my back is starting too let me know that the big saws is not the direction I want too go!!!. QUOTE]

Are you sure bending over cutting isn't the culprit? I tried running a Husky 55 with an 18 inch bar several years ago and it seemed like my back would always hurt after using the thing for a short while when cutting firewood on the ground. Had a 066 mag at the same time and it didn't seem to bother the back. Working with elevated wood the short bar feels ok to me , however most of the time I still like the reach of the 20 in that situation.
20 inch seems to be my minimum to keep the back comfortable working with wood on the ground. ( For me ) 24 or 25 seems better, and inbetween best, however I haven't seen that size in a stihl bar availuble.

20 inch seems to be my minimum to keep the back comfortable working with wood on the ground. ( For me ) 24 or 25 seems better, and inbetween best, however I haven't seen that size in a stihl bar availuble.

Are you taking about a 24-25" or 22" bar? Stihl makes the 25", not sure if they do a 22" but I know other brands make 'em.

Latest posts

Back