Ms 361 verses the ms 361C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference between the two models is. I was wondering which one is better. Thanks

The 361c is the same, just it has the triple chainbrake qs thing, that is the fat thing on the back handle. As soon as you let go of the back handle the saw will brake itself.

I have never used on with that, but it is a safety feature. It will not help performance but maybe it would help that one unlucky time.

don't go there... It's better then the old QS, but not worth the money. If your saw idle is adjusted right, you don't need it. Idle too high and you'll wear out your clutch shoes/drum real quick.

Agreed. Stay away from the C model. I look at it like this, if it was a professional feature, you'd see it on the 440, 460, 660, and 880. I see it as a homeowner feature just above the Easy 2 Start deal. Like has been said, it adds complexity, and if your saw is adjusted properly, the chain should stop on it's own quickly enough for normal, non-emergency use, and if it's not, you're gonna wear stuff our prematurely.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
and if your saw is adjusted properly, the chain should stop on it's own quickly enough for normal, non-emergency use, and if it's not, you're gonna wear stuff our prematurely.

Jeff
I don't see a benefit to the feature either, but couldn't this identical argument be made against chain brakes? Are any safety features needed for "non-emergency" situations?

computeruser said:
Nope, but I can't think why I would want to. So far as I can see, all it does is add an additional layer of complexity and provide one more series of parts to break.
Ditto!
Also, it will probably wear out your chain brake prematurely if you don't keep the hand at the rear handle until the chain has stopped.

So you all do not think it is worth the extra money. I thought it might be handy for when I am cutting a log then I set the saw down to roll the piece out of the way? Pick it up then cut the next piece of wood.

DanManofStihl said:
So you all do not think it is worth the extra money. I thought it might be handy for when I am cutting a log then I set the saw down to roll the piece out of the way? Pick it up then cut the next piece of wood.

So, how will the C model make that easier? Like has been said earlier, if the saw's idle is adjusted properly, the chain should come to a complete stop on it's own quickly enough for you to set it down to roll the log. And as far as kickback safety, if the force of the kickback is enough to rip the handle out of your hand, and activate the QS, then the chainbrake should be activated with the brake flag anyway. Skip it dude. Spend your money on an extra bar or something, or take your girlfriend out to dinner so she'll forget about you buying that 029. :laugh:

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Skip it dude. Spend your money on an extra bar or something, or take your girlfriend out to dinner so she'll forget about you buying that 029. :laugh:

Jeff

Yeah your right I will buy and extra bar for the saw.

Don't discount dinner with the lady. Remember, you're gonna have to explain why you bought this saw, and the extra bar, and didn't take her out.

Ya know, I'm becoming more and more glad I'm un-engaged and single again. I just bought a $500 saw that I don't need and have yet to justify it to anyone...but then again I sleep with my dog have to cook and clean for myself, so I guess there's trade-offs. :laugh:

Jeff

Right beside ya now she got pissed and left so thatsz why im getting my new saw. She said she couldn't deal with me all the time I said don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya and she called me a few names and left. Being alone sucks but hay I met this one chick at the mcdonalds drive through the other day so maybe I wouldn't be single for long. Or at least I hope im tired of mcgriddles,subs and pizza.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Don't discount dinner with the lady. Remember, you're gonna have to explain why you bought this saw, and the extra bar, and didn't take her out.

Ya know, I'm becoming more and more glad I'm un-engaged and single again. I just bought a $500 saw that I don't need and have yet to justify it to anyone...but then again I sleep with my dog have to cook and clean for myself, so I guess there's trade-offs. :laugh:

Jeff

Cleaning you can skip now and then, but a man has to eat!

BTW, I'm keepind all these emails so when you invite me to your future wedding, I can read them aloud. :laugh:

Happy birthday Danny

Went to my local dealer to buy the ms 361 all they had was the ms 290. So I went to the other dealer man they have some good service I was like my other dealer said they would give me a free chain with the saw (they didn't but who can tell). He was like sure we will give you an extra chain, a gallon of bar oil, a six pack of mix and the gloves. After all was said and done I had all of that the tool kit, a calander, a brochure, and the manual. After taxes it was $627.00. Can't wait to really test it out.

Latest posts

Back