ms 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nothing about the 391, sorry, but did you consider to buy a used pro saw to stay inside your budget?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Try the search, it helps a lot, believe me. You will have enough to read for days just one the 391. The 392 is out now and should be a better choice for a few dollars more. Since it is a strato saw it's supposed to have a considerable difference in fuel economy and the anti-vibe is supposed to be better also. But if you have the funds the 362 might be the better choice depending on what and how much you plan to cut. Both those saws are big enough to get you into trouble in a hurry so operator skill is a must. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you get. JJuday

Welcome to the site. Try the search, it helps a lot, believe me. You will have enough to read for days just one the 391. The 392 is out now and should be a better choice for a few dollars more. Since it is a strato saw it's supposed to have a considerable difference in fuel economy and the anti-vibe is supposed to be better also. But if you have the funds the 362 might be the better choice depending on what and how much you plan to cut. Both those saws are big enough to get you into trouble in a hurry so operator skill is a must. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you get. JJuday

The 391 is the new strato. It replaced the 390. There is no 392.

http://www.stihldealer.net/productd...27-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-39.aspx

Just don't want to confuse anyone.

anyone have an ms 391? i would prefer a pro saw, prob a 362, but i just can't get over the price difference. any feedback would be great, thanks.

The 391 shares many parts, with the 362 both are strato charged engines 2 stroke engines. The 391 is a much better saw than the 390 it replaces, better anti vibe, air filtration, and fuel economy. If you're just a firewood cutter the 391 is a good choice, but if you're a pro making a living with the saw get the 362. On paper they are heavier as our esteemed Norwegian friend SawTroll is dieing to point out. But I've held a 391, 390, 361, 362 to compare real world feel, and they all feel about the same, but I can tell you he new saws are much better balanced feeling.

The 391 shares many parts, with the 362 both are strato charged engines 2 stroke engines. The 391 is a much better saw than the 390 it replaces, better anti vibe, air filtration, and fuel economy. If you're just a firewood cutter the 391 is a good choice, but if you're a pro making a living with the saw get the 362. On paper they are heavier as our esteemed Norwegian friend SawTroll is dieing to point out. But I've held a 391, 390, 361, 362 to compare real world feel, and they all feel about the same, but I can tell you he new saws are much better balanced feeling.

You are a Stihl dealer, aren't you? :)

Afaik, the tank assambly is the same between the 362 and 391, not much more than that?

Last edited:
I bought an MS 390 last summer. Have cut a lot with it. I was in the same boat as the original poster. Why spend more, ect. A year and a lot of firewood cut later I made the right choice buying the 390. I'm not running it all day long like an illegal alien slaveboy, but I am an enthusiastic scrounger hellbent on victory. I say buy the 391 sir. Look at how frustrated these high end homeowner saws make nearly everyone here. That alone is nearly worth the price of admission. I haven't and won't do a muffler mod, either. You know why? I use my 25" bar the saw does the job, every time, without complaint. So dine on my waste, haters.:rockn:

wow, thanks for all the replies. mostly firewood cutting, some cutting at work, and a little landscape work cutting, will def not be running the saw every day. love the idea of a pro saw, as with my commercial mower, and other equipment, but can't get over the price. i guess we'll see how much patience i have, 391 now, or save a while longer and get the 362. thanks again for all the suggestions

Just to set this whole pro saw non pro saw thing straight. The average tree service wouldn't wear out a 391 so I highly doubt a serious weekend warrior would as well. As far as the 391 goes I handled it at the dealer and yeah the price is reasonable and i'm sure with the new engine the power is acceptable as well but there is no way in the world I would haul an overweght porker like that around when a 372 is the same weight with more power. Stihl has definetely improved it's filtration and vibes but no more than husky has ever had. You can do what you want but the 391 really isn't a good choice on any level.

You are a Stihl dealer, aren't you? :)

Afaik, the tank assambly is the same between the 362 and 391, not much more than that?

Top handle, Anti vibe, air filter, carb, tank assembly, coil, flywheel, rewind, flippy caps, and a lot of similar parts I haven't worked on any yet.

the 391 isn't a bad choice if the 125 clams or so is that important to you (and i understand it can be make or break).

But much like one of your sig saws <359> their are better choices for the money. As much as i'm not a 361 fan I would go that route for not much more moolah.

Latest posts

Back