MS 460 or Husky 576xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawmechanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im new here but this is a great site you have. I have a dilemma, whether to get an MS460 or a 576xp. Wondering what you guys think is the better of the two.

The 460 has more power, but make sure you can live with the vibes, before you buy one. Some people just can't take it! The 576xp is a much smoother saw, and likely use a lot less fuel, since it is a "strato".

I have no experience with either, so I just posted what I have picked up from people that have, and the specs.

The 460 has more power, but make sure you can live with the vibes, before you buy one. Some people just can't take it! The 576xp is a much smoother saw, and likely use a lot less fuel, since it is a "strato".

I have no experience with either, so I just posted what I have picked up from people that have, and the specs.

My poulan 306 and 245 have VIBES, not my 460!:hmm3grin2orange:

After about a half a nano second if you want a 460 that will absolutely rock send it to Simon, I did him a huge injustice by not taking the time to send to the 460 worksaw build off. It is an absolute dream machine, I wouldn't consider selling it or trading it period. I can't put into words how happy we are with this saw. It is an absolute monster, it has had a major impact on production, I could not be happier in any way with the Simon modded 460, it's set to run wot at 15,300 and holds strong rpms in the cut, it throttle response is unbelievable.
I don't know how in the world I could have a better production saw, it has gotten stronger and stronger, people who run it that are used to running stock 660's just can't believe it how much stronger it is than a stock 660.
MS 460 all the way, tens of thousands of 046's,460's if not hundreds of thousands out there in tough commercial use conditions for years, there is a reason for it, proven design 110%, made fallers, loggers, and commercial firewood guys a ton of cash with minimal maint. Buy you one send it to Simon, give the saw twenty or thirty tanks and you'll never get the smile off your face. It is the most awesome saw I've owned in thirty plus years of running saws.

I have a dilemma, whether to get an MS460 or a 576xp.

You should go to their respective dealers, try them out and see how they suit your hands, and preferable try to do a few cuts with them. You'll probably know which one you want then. If not, this might be some ways to help determine:

1: Chose the same brand as your other saws. Sticking with one brand usually makes it easier with all the accessories that comes with a saw.

2: Chose a dealer, not a saw brand. Go to the dealer you like best, buy the brand he's selling. Good dealers are... well, good!

3: The 576 is a more modern saw, and seems to rock with Auto-Tune. It will have less vibrations, and AT means you won't have to fiddle with the carb. Ever!

4: The 460 is one of the most rugged Stihl saws there are, firmly proven reliability.

I would have chosen... Well I'm curious about the AT, and the 576AT can be had with heated handles here, while the 460 can't so that would have settled it for me. Oh, wait, there's one more thing:

5: Toss a coin, they're both good saws, you will hardly regret it no matter which way you go!

I would have chosen... Well I'm curious about the AT, and the 576AT can be had with heated handles here, while the 460 can't so that would have settled it for me. Oh, wait, there's one more thing:

That is a bit odd, as the 460 hasn't been availiable without heating in Norway - nor is the 660, except if you buy the Logosol version.

:laugh: Some have actually ridded themselves of their 460s because of what they felt was excessive vibes, I don't really know myself, as I said.:msp_smile:

No offense but I'm sure you're age is enough that you have been around long enough to have ran saws that vibrate to beat he!! and I can tell you that the stihl 046/460 is not one of them. ;)

Not that one!

Close enough check out #27 on the 372xt vs Stihl 460 thread. I was begining to think it was some sort of computer generated auto reply you had going on there for any thread that mentioned a MS460. I am glad to see it is actually you though. lol

Last edited:
the 046/460 is near the end of the product cycle and is a KNOW work horse with all the issues worked out of the platform.

where as the 575/576 is still fairly early in its product cycle and the jury is somewhat still out so to speak. but many early issue were worked out and improved/fixed on the 576 from the 575.

a better choice or comparison would be the proven 372/372xpw 75cc if you still can find one.

bottom line, go run them both and see which fits you better. really cant go wrong with either saw.

That is a bit odd, as the 460 hasn't been availiable without heating in Norway - nor is the 660, except if you buy the Logosol version.

Ehrm... Now that I had a cup of coffee I think that the 460 hasn't been available here at all for many years, other than as in the rescue version - but that does not have heated handles! Strange though, I think all pro-saws should be available in a G/WH/VW version in this part of the world. It shouldn't be a fancy option but the standard, and the option should be to save a few bucks by special order one without...

We share the same situation on the 660 though, but I could bet some good kronor on that 99% - or even more - of all the 660-sales here is the Logosol version... I have never even seen a commercial outfit with a 660 here, seems they all go for a 372 when they go "big" and that's where the world ends so to speak...

Now I'm off to have my car checked and approved for use on public roads ("årlig kontrollbesiktning"), I guess at least you Niko knows what it means, but I don't know if you have to do that in US. I'll probably pass, but since it's usually expensive if it doesn't I'm allways a bit nervous...

Buy the 576 and then buy my brandnew OEM 576 piston and rings that I have been looking at on my bench for two years. Everyone needs a spare.

Last edited:
I have a 460 and think it's great. However, my next new saw will be a 576XP Auto Tune. At my local dealer the 576 is $160 less than a MS460. Good luck with your choice, you will be well served by either saw.

Both are good saws and you can't really go wrong. The 576 at is right with a 460 in power. The 046 that we ran against the 576 was barely stronger and I would think when the 576 is broken in it will be stronger.

Back