ms 660- oil getting into clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this problem, as follows. After my second tank of gas on my new 660, I took the clutch cover off because I thought I smelled that fimiliar smell (burning clutch) while cutting a 18" oak. There was oil on the inside of the clutch cover. The tree was laying on the ground already so the saw wasn't used to fell the tree. Any ideas?

is the oil hole in the bar clear? they often clog up because the holes are rather small. i drill the oil holes out and deburr for more oil flow. more of the oil gets to the chain and seems to make a bit less oil mess in the clutch cover.

here is what i copy the oil hole from, this is a vintage wheel tip bar with stock oil hole with a 3/16 Oregon chain file stuck in the hole for a size idea. if you are going to drill your bar just drill VERY slow and use a carbide drill bit or a dremel with diamond or carbide bit. i usually start with a drill bit and get about 1/3rd through and it stops cutting, then finish off with a dremel and carbide bit. starting with the drill bit just gives me a line to follow to keep the hole round.

http://www.nwchainsaw.com/oilhole.jpg

Last edited:
I find they work fine with the standard holes in Stihl bars. Check around for other problems... Like a missing or mangled rubber washer at the top of the pump where it puts the oil back into the outlet bore,or worse, a hole in the pump from the worm spring being pressed into the pump body by mis-alignment or a bad drum bearing.

Back