MS150 TC-E or MS193 T ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmansweb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys - have a bit of a dilemma , which saw would be better? the MS150 TC-E or MS193 T ? - only diffrence i can see is power, weight and the pitch of the chain - 3/8 versus 1/4 (MS150)- ill be cutting alot of hardwood limbs, which model would be more suited to Australian timber and conditions?

I have the 193T I use quite a bit, & while the 193T I have is great now, I prefer others. a 200T/201T or similar.... if that's a potential consideration, is a much better saw for hardwood.
The 193 of mine had a few teething issues, since resolved...
Mine Needed a timing advance to idle right, otherwise it had a habit of dying on trigger release between cuts, or if shifted from one side to the next. this is not an excuse to mod a saw, it literally didn't function properly stock.
It's not super powerful either, but with a muffler mod & timing advance 193T holds it's own with the displacement class it's in... I used a 150T recently in a tree as a loaner & it was very light, reasonably responsive & cut fine.
Out of the two, I prefer the 193 in hardwood as it has a distinct power advantage over the 150T, while not being much heavier.
The 3/8" chain I find easier to sharpen & longer lasting between sharpenings, and 3/8" is easier to find priced reasonably as well.

I have the 193T I use quite a bit, & while the 193T I have is great now, I prefer others. a 200T/201T or similar.... if that's a potential consideration, is a much better saw for hardwood.
The 193 of mine had a few teething issues, since resolved...
Mine Needed a timing advance to idle right, otherwise it had a habit of dying on trigger release between cuts, or if shifted from one side to the next. this is not an excuse to mod a saw, it literally didn't function properly stock.
It's not super powerful either, but with a muffler mod & timing advance 193T holds it's own with the displacement class it's in... I used a 150T recently in a tree as a loaner & it was very light, reasonably responsive & cut fine.
Out of the two, I prefer the 193 in hardwood as it has a distinct power advantage over the 150T, while not being much heavier.
The 3/8" chain I find easier to sharpen & longer lasting between sharpenings, and 3/8" is easier to find priced reasonably as well.
Have 193's issues been addressed by stihl ? or do i have to advance the timing and mess around with a brand new saw? - i do like the 3/8 chain and a bit more power for hardwood over the 150 - but if its going to be a pain in the ass saw... well you know what i mean

Have 193's issues been addressed by stihl ? or do i have to advance the timing and mess around with a brand new saw? - i do like the 3/8 chain and a bit more power for hardwood over the 150 - but if its going to be a pain in the ass saw... well you know what i mean
I don't know... they released the 194, and it supposedly resolved all the issues I had. several companys have switched locally to 194's and say great things.
I have a second 193T without any teething issues, that runs well, but it has very little time on it.

Hi guys - have a bit of a dilemma , which saw would be better? the MS150 TC-E or MS193 T ? - only diffrence i can see is power, weight and the pitch of the chain - 3/8 versus 1/4 (MS150)- ill be cutting alot of hardwood limbs, which model would be more suited to Australian timber and conditions?

I love my 192T, has been the saw I built my business on & arguably paid for itself more than any other of my saws. If it's not doing tree work, it's been a fencing & heavy carpentry saw.

Also have a 200T & several 201T's. Great for removals, but for precision work, climbs with many small cuts or even repetitive ground work like avenues, orchards etc, the 192T is a winner. My only gripe is it's very prone to breaking chains, but could be what am using it for. Light weight & lower vibration is one thing I love about the 192T on long climbs.

Have only trialled a 150T, was in hardwood (coastal marri - around 1250kg/cube wet, interlocking grain) & certainly wasn't up to the task, simply not enough power to work efficiently. I find the 1/4 chain binds to easily on hardwood & recently swapped the new polesaw to 3/8 (the new polesaw is debatably the shittest Stihl pro tool made).

Soon as / when the 194T is available in Australia, will grab one.

My second 193T did have an issue with a scored piston, but the dealer was on top of it and repaired it free of charge... I have been happy with it since, but between the two there's a lot of work put into brand new saws.
I got a chance to run a 194 from a tree service today, and in the short time I did I was favorably impressed. Ran like my MM & timing advanced 193.
I used a 192 extensively, and that's what I learned to climb on. Hands down my favorite top handle, nostalgia not counting.
The 200 is heavier, and more awkward in tree when learning, but more powerful and less finicky about the chain & wood hardness.
I talked to the guy with the 150T and his claim is that it's not worth using for hardwood. The 1/4" chain is all it will take, and even then he says it struggles a lot.

Latest posts

Back