MS180 carb upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderson3754

Playing the ultimate game every day
Reaction score
Today I got done putting the WT-215 carb on my MS180 turned out nice. Now at least I can adjust the carb correctly. The saw seams to have more power on the high end, off idle response is much quicker. Even though you have to drill a couple of holes in the side cover to gain access to the adjustment screws and a little zippy tie at the end of the throttle linkage to take up the end play to ensure full throttle when the trigger is fully depressed. Used epoxy to plug the 7 0'clock hole and removed the welch plug at 6 o'clock position. All in all it was a fun little project. The funny part is this carb was a $10.00 Chinese carb off off ebay.
Now I have to go find and buy another MS 180 so I can do it again LOL.

Regards

I upgraded my Stihl 025 to a Chinese clone and gained hi speed adjustment. Well worth the $10 spent.

Yes I'm gonna do it again just gotta go procure another MS180. Funny 12 mo ago I had 3 of them but alas, they went to different homes.

I have not had a chance to play with it much, its cold in the 40's, and drizzling today. However I did cut a few Boxelder limbs I have up on a landing and yes the carb adjustment screws adjust nice. Just have to dial it in hopefully tomorrow.

Regards

Have you ever swapped out the Hi speed jet in the stock 180 carb to try taking up some of the slack? I've never had to do that on a 170/180 before but I know it can be done to richen/lean them if they're not running at the right RPMs.

Have you ever swapped out the Hi speed jet in the stock 180 carb to try taking up some of the slack? I've never had to do that on a 170/180 before but I know it can be done to richen/lean them if they're not running at the right RPMs.

No... I have not done that on any chainsaws. I have on 4 cycle engines in the past so I know its basically straight forward. It will be either a press in fit, or a screw in fit, or a variation of those themes. Someone else is going to have to advise on how to ID the jet you have, and then recommend what would be the proper next size bigger, and the proper removal and install of the new jet.

DO NOT try and drill the jet a little bigger, it will not work !!! This is done with a set of pin drill reamers which I'm sure you do not have.
As I'm writing this I'm thinking it's pressed in or possibly permanent, requiring the same style carb with just a bigger OEM jet used.

This is about as much info that I can supply, as this something I have not done on these little baby carbs. I do not want you to ruin the carb you have. Hopefully someone else can help you more than I can.

Regards

No... I have not done that on any chainsaws. I have on 4 cycle engines in the past so I know its basically straight forward. It will be either a press in fit, or a screw in fit, or a variation of those themes. Someone else is going to have to advise on how to ID the jet you have, and then recommend what would be the proper next size bigger, and the proper removal and install of the new jet.

DO NOT try and drill the jet a little bigger, it will not work !!! This is done with a set of pin drill reamers which I'm sure you do not have.
As I'm writing this I'm thinking it's pressed in or possibly permanent, requiring the same style carb with just a bigger OEM jet used.

This is about as much info that I can supply, as this something I have not done on these little baby carbs. I do not want you to ruin the carb you have. Hopefully someone else can help you more than I can.

Regards

Wise words. On the 170/180 carb it's a screw in jet. Identified by a stamped number on top of it. I think .44 mm is the stock, you can go I believe as large as .46 or maybe .48 and as small as .41 I think.

Stihl's idea with the balanced idle system is to just change the H jet if it's running to rich or lean at WOT. Without having to put a whole new carb on it.

Wise words. On the 170/180 carb it's a screw in jet. Identified by a stamped number on top of it. I think .44 mm is the stock, you can go I believe as large as .46 or maybe .48 and as small as .41 I think.

Stihl's idea with the balanced idle system is to just change the H jet if it's running to rich or lean at WOT. Without having to put a whole new carb on it.

Thanks for the info on the jet replacement I just learned something.

Regards

Update; spent approx 4hrs cutting up some dead Elms yesterday approx 1 hr of run time on the saw, with multiple starts and idle time. The saw cuts really nice. Nice throttle response, starts easy, and a improvement in overall power, the saw does have a mild muffler mod.

Now what I'm wondering is... instead of placing a machine screw or zip tie at the end of the throttle linkage to ensure full open throttle when the trigger is pulled. Would the throttle rod off of the ms210, 021, etc be the better mouse trap to compliment this conversion, seeing how this wt215 is the carb used on these saws?

Regards

Latest posts

Back