MS180 Stihl carburetor issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone

I have an MS 180 Stihl and from day one it never really idled properly. I used it infrequently the first year and the warranty period came and went. I would have to keep the throttle depressed a bit or goose it frequently to keep it from stalling and the idle adjustment did nothing. I replaced the fuel line and filter just in case they were bad but no change. I bought an after market carb and put it on and it had the same problem, perhaps worse, and again, the idle adjustment did nothing. I next put on a rebuilt OEM carb and it worked great for a while but now has issues of not getting fuel through after I use up a tank of gas and the saw is hot. It restarts OK after it cools down and sits for a while. So I put back on one of the other carbs because it at least runs and will restart when hot but I can never get it up to full power and it has the idle issue. I assume the quality control on these is bad and there is nothing to be done with a carb that was made out of spec. I have rebuilt all these a number of times with new diaphragms and kits and cleaned the carbs thoroughly but I can tell this is not the problem. I suppose I should buy a new OEM carb and hope for the best. The saw is great when it is running up to snuff. Any suggestions?

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Have to drag out old war stories from time to time for a re-run.
( chainsawwhisperer can verify all this as he's the guilty culprit )
At one of our early GTG's... that's a few years back now... some typical CAD horse trading went on. I ended up with this new looking MS170. Figured HOW could I go wrong! And what a deal it was. Looked out of the box new. Person I traded for it said it might need a carb or something along those lines and it never ran well. SO I took the challenge.

Spend countless hours trying to make that saw run. I'm certain has Jim seen the efforts he would have smiled as I suspect he also had put time into that saw. AFTER putting another carb and yet another ignition on the thing, completely ignoring my instincts .. and having already done what I thought would have solved its issue...tank vent/caps etc...I decided once and for all to tear it down to atoms if necessary to figure it out.

Took off the carb...yet again...but this time with a different frame of mind, and noticed it was missing something.

No pulse hole on the case side.

Must have came that way from the factory. SO a drill and leaving a little "dust" for punishment later...I had a perfectly running little Stihl which I promptly sold to my Ferrier. Who has used it for several years now trimming motorcycle trails on my farm.

Bone

Have to drag out old war stories from time to time for a re-run.
( chainsawwhisperer can verify all this as he's the guilty culprit )
At one of our early GTG's... that's a few years back now... some typical CAD horse trading went on. I ended up with this new looking MS170. Figured HOW could I go wrong! And what a deal it was. Looked out of the box new. Person I traded for it said it might need a carb or something along those lines and it never ran well. SO I took the challenge.

Spend countless hours trying to make that saw run. I'm certain has Jim seen the efforts he would have smiled as I suspect he also had put time into that saw. AFTER putting another carb and yet another ignition on the thing, completely ignoring my instincts .. and having already done what I thought would have solved its issue...tank vent/caps etc...I decided once and for all to tear it down to atoms if necessary to figure it out.

Took off the carb...yet again...but this time with a different frame of mind, and noticed it was missing something.

No pulse hole on the case side.

Must have came that way from the factory. SO a drill and leaving a little "dust" for punishment later...I had a perfectly running little Stihl which I promptly sold to my Ferrier. Who has used it for several years now trimming motorcycle trails on my farm.

Bone

I can relate to the countless hours trying to make the saw run. I'm an expert at quick disconnect and reconnect carbs on the 180. Maybe there's a Guiness record competition for this sort of thing. Anyway, which one is the " pulse hole on the case side"?? I'm convinced there is something wrong with these carbs and won't be surprised if there is a machining problem with them.

94BULLITT

94BULLITT

ArboristSite Operative
My 170 would not idle long with the stock carb on it. I put a WT215 on it and it will idle all day now. Did you get a cheap aftermarket carb? Does it have a high and low adjustment? Have you played with the L adjustment?