MS201 with new coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 201 is an early model & has had the H needle "unlimited", the muff modded, & the timing advanced courtesy of Brad Snelling. The original coil was rev limited to 13,200-13,300 which made tuning a pain. Stihl recently came out with an "upgrade kit" which consisted of a flywheel (supposedly with a 4deg. advance), a carb, & a coil which is limited to 14,000. I only wanted the coil, but the whole kit was $89.95 & the coil, alone, was $95, so I bought the kit. After the coil & flywheel were installed, I fired it up. The throttle response did not seem as snappy as it had been with the "Snellerized" flywheel, so I switched back to that one & did some testing. The questions I had were: 1). Is the new coil limited at 14,000, 2). How is the new flywheel going to perform, 3). What RPMs were being produced at idle & at WOT after a) warm up, b) 3 cuts in 6in. wood, c) 1-3 cuts in 12in. wood.

Here are the results:

Snellerized flywheel & new coil:
idle after 90sec. 3400
after blipping 3400
max at WOT 13,700
after 3 cuts in 6in. wood Beyond the limiter

New flywheel & new coil:
idle after 90sec. 3170
after blipping 3170
max at WOT 13,800
after 3 cuts in 6in. wood Beyond the limiter

After exceeding the limiter in 6in. wood, there was no point in doing the WOT RPM test in the 12in. wood, so I decided to check RPMs in the wood instead.

Snellerized flywheel & new coil: 12,200
New flywheel & new coil: 11,100

Notes: It was easy to verify that the new coil is limited at 14,000 as advertised.
There are enough variables in the "in the wood" tests to make these numbers less than scientific, especially since I was cutting with my left hand (I'm right handed) & holding the tach in my right.
After doing the tests using the Snellerized flywheel first & the new flywheel second, I re-installed the Snellerized flywheel to recheck my impressions on throttle response & torque in the 12in. wood. It clearly had a snappier response & more guts.
I am glad that I have the new coil. While fine tuning in the wood is still necessary, I find it much easier to "sneak up on" the limiter & have a very small adjustment left to get an optimum tune. Having a reference point at WOT (13,700) before the saw has reached max operating temp by being placed in wood
is also a worthwhile benefit to my way of thinking.

FWIW, I started this thread yesterday & got halfway through it before being "interrupted" by "preparations" for a colonoscopy this AM. I thought it best to wait until today to finish it, so I did not disappear after posting. My head is now clear as well as other parts of me. The results were perfect. Man, did breakfast taste good!!

I'm glad to hear of the positive colonoscopy results.

Even though the new flywheel is said to have advance built into it, I would still thin the key and advance it 6°. You will pick back up the lost throttle response and RPMs in the cut.

I don't need it. I'm as happy as a kangaroo on a trampoline with the one you modded for me. Good info, though, for anyone who has the kit & wants the best results.

Speaking of chains, mine STILL aren't in so im gonna hopefully swing by tonight before they close and get my $ back.

Whats the price on those 2 16" 56dl PS chains? PM me if you want.

Speaking of chains, mine STILL aren't in so im gonna hopefully swing by tonight before they close and get my $ back.

Whats the price on those 2 16" 56dl PS chains? PM me if you want.

I didn't see your post soon enough to get the price tonight. They were closed for the day. I will call in the AM & shoot you a PM.

l like my rear handle ms201 Brad sourced for me and tampered with. Good smooth light saws! Anyone know the MSRP of the ms150t/ms150rh?? l missed out on the one in the post recently.:( Also l am a firm believer in the 'light' Still bars, the really keep these saws light and well balanced.

l like my rear handle ms201 Brad sourced for me and tampered with. Good smooth light saws! Anyone know the MSRP of the ms150t/ms150rh?? l missed out on the one in the post recently.:( Also l am a firm believer in the 'light' Still bars, the really keep these saws light and well balanced.
MS150T - $480
MS150 - $525

These are out the door prices after tax.

I didn't see your post soon enough to get the price tonight. They were closed for the day. I will call in the AM & shoot you a PM.
Yeah shoot me a PM....i stopped today to get my money back and they called the distributor to see what was going on.......the order was never pulled, so they pulled the chains today and shipped them so i should have them tomorrow. I got my money back too. But if the price is good and im sure its cheaper off the roll, i'll get them through you in the future.

Back