ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently bought a new MS290. On the first tree the clutch disintegrated. Into the shop, under warranty, fixed. On the second tree the chain oiler stopped oiling, bar & chain dry as yesterday's toast. Into the shop, waiting for results. My only other Stihl is an 029, trouble-free for years. Anybody else have problems with the 290?

Baz said:
My only other Stihl is an 029, trouble-free for years. Anybody else have problems with the 290?

They're the same saw, and the 029/290 is a reliable saw in it's niche. Sounds like you've got a lemon or something.

My guess is that the clutch coming apart messed up your oiler, or that whatever caused your clutch to STB shot your oiler. Crank may be suspect as well. I'd guess they're related, and not two seperate problems.

I would agree with the lemon theory. I now own a couple of the 290 series and do not have any complaints other than the front bar mount bolt. When I buy these saws used that bolt is almost always stripped out of the case. Same thing with Poulans and Huskys. I wish people would learn to sharpen chains so they would not feel the need to tighten bars down with ignorant force. Easy saw to repair and pleasent to use. The one I bought new has never had any problems.

I have had my new one for about 9 months now and as long the chain is sharp and you learn to let the saw cut with chain speed instead of torque they are a pleasure to use (as long as you are strong) for what they are they are a good saw but a bit overweight for the amount of power available

upandcommer said:
I have had my new one for about 9 months now and as long the chain is sharp and you learn to let the saw cut with chain speed instead of torque they are a pleasure to use (as long as you are strong) for what they are they are a good saw but a bit overweight for the amount of power available

Heavy and underpowered, yes. Cost enough, there's better choices

Mike Maas said:
Eight posts into a thread about the 290/029 and not one wheel chock or boat anchor joke yet?
Man, you guys are slipping!

All of the brain trust is absorbed in the 440/441 "discusssion":monkey:

Lakeside53 said:
All of the brain trust is absorbed in the 440/441 "discusssion":monkey:

Treeco will be along soon to screw this thread up too.

Andy, maybe your sales of MS290's will go up just like the MS441...:laugh::laugh:

Back on topic... Baz, what was the diagnosis from the dealer?

Gary

First rattle out of the box

Bought my 290 and first job was a white ash 5 feet at the ground. When cutting full bar depth I had to baby it til I thought my arms were going to fall off. Even then the slightest twist in the bar would bog it down and I smoked the clutch several times before I pulled my head out. Under-powered...yes. But I was asking 125% outta mine and it just couldn't keep up the pace.

p goble said:
Bought my 290 and first job was a white ash 5 feet at the ground. When cutting full bar depth I had to baby it til I thought my arms were going to fall off. Even then the slightest twist in the bar would bog it down and I smoked the clutch several times before I pulled my head out. Under-powered...yes. But I was asking 125% outta mine and it just couldn't keep up the pace.

How long was the bar you had on it?

18" bar

Had to notch it twice and pull it to control where it fell. I had already removed all the limbs and had a trunk about 9 feet tall

Brand new out of the box

New chain and bar. Wasn't new when I finished. that tree was 60" at the base. So, the bar was buried for a long time. Hope the bar isn't ruined.

the very first tree I put my ms290 into was a 34" black walnut that had been removed 12 months prior with a hydraulic thumb on a 20 ton excavator they where removing my parents barn with said excavator and removed the tree to gain access to the barn. I buried my full 20" farm boss bar and .325 x.63 chain into the tree and successfully cut through the tree like butter. The whole reason for the purchase was to finish the cleanup job and the wildthing wouldn't reach all the way through. My first chain lasted that tree and 3 more before i had to file it up and that was cutting 18" rounds the 60 foot trunk and three other hardwoods so something was amiss on your technique and or equipment because my break in tank was the hardest that saw has ever worked.

asskrkr said:
Heavy and underpowered, yes. Cost enough, there's better choices
Am I to understand that your username is short for "korker?" If so, it should be "crkr," as "korker" is spelled with a "c." :)

Last edited:
Back