MS310 Help with basic mod please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kachtz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have searched the forums before posting, and have found pictures and descriptions on how to do a Muffler Mod to a MS310.

if anyone has experience modding a MS310, could you please help me out with mine. i know it is an easy thing to do, but i just dont want to do something wrong.

mainly tuning the carb would be great!

:clap::clap:

glad to see you want to dig into a 310. When i did mine it was a new saw. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the front of the muffler under the deflector plate and cut back the deflector port thing. I didnt have to adjust my carb, but that has a lot to do with how it was setup as stock. If you are going to get into modding saws, i recommend a you get a tach. ill dig mine out and see what kind it is.

Soak the threads on the bolts with WD or PB real good before trying to remove the nuts.
Ask me why.;)

And a tach isn't gonna do ya much good with a modded saw 'cept tell ya what ya did to it RPM-wise relative to the factory specs. Use the links above and learn to tune by ear to get the best results out of your efforts!

Good luck.

Poge

yes you must learn to listen to 4-stroking tune it by ear, but, a tach is cheap insurance to help keep tabs on things. just my opinion.

Welcome to the site! :cheers:

Drill

Under the deflector plate, drill a big hole, or a lot of little holes, any size larger then stock will help.

"H" Adjustment

290/310/390's are very pronounced when there too rich, they have an easy to distinguish 'burble' with a little practice.

A burble out of the wood, that clears in the wood and your saw will perform very well for you!

Most everyone here were a little apprehensive doing their first, and about every one here that has opened one up will do more of the same to the second one in an instant.

Ms-290

Just got through Modding my MS-290, makes a difference. I was a little nervous about the carb adjustment, one of the limiters got destroyed I'll have to get another at the Stihl dealer. Saws running a little rich still I'll lean it out some more tomorrow. Getting close though still four stroking in the cut a tad. will post some pic's tomorrow. This is my first mod on one of my saws.

thanks for the responcses, i have been reading up on the carb tuning. I already have a tach that i hope will work, it is the kind that wraps around the sparkplug wire. my saw seems to run fine stock, i am at sea level, and i do not hear any "burble" in the saw, do i need to remove anything to adjust the carbs a little bit?

Back