MS361 bar stud problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on a 361 for a friend, involves putting new bar studs into the case. Problem is, one hole is much larger than the other one. Looks like someone has re-drilled the front hole and put a larger stud in it, now the standard Stihl stud won't fit. Is there some kind of insert I can put in there? The way the studs were ground down it looks like they wanted to install a Homelite bar or something with a smaller slot in the bar than Stihl so neither of the studs will work but the hole is the correct size on the back one. What a mess!

I would have a single stud crankcase with the single stud easy adjust clutch cover if you need another option. Would be cheap. I changed mine over to a two stud build. These are nice cases just didn't want the easy adjuster. Can send pics let me know. Thx.

I have a Stihl dealer near me, may head over there next week and see about the oversize stud. Another thing I've been looking into is an insert. I think it's an 8mm stud so the insert would have to be around 9 or 10mm wide. I mentioned it's not my 361 so I'll probably be told to do what's the cheapest..

I have a Stihl dealer near me, may head over there next week and see about the oversize stud. Another thing I've been looking into is an insert. I think it's an 8mm stud so the insert would have to be around 9 or 10mm wide. I mentioned it's not my 361 so I'll probably be told to do what's the cheapest..
The oversize stud is preferable if they have one. I used one on a top handle Stihl saw and it worked fine. Sometimes you can find a stud with longer internal threads and that will work also because several case threads deep down are still intact.

Just a heads up. By the time you buy a drill bit, heavy walled keensert, and the stud from Stihl pricing will be close. Of course you would need to swap out your crank. Juat an option for ya. Thx. TG

Before I knew what was wrong I ordered two regular sized bar studs, one of which I'm gonna use since the original was mangled by the owner. On the second one which has the larger hole it's possible I'm just gonna use what was there. I still haven't talked to the owner, and I'm guessing he will tell me to leave it as is since his intentions are to sell it anyway..

The oversize stud is preferable if they have one. I used one on a top handle Stihl saw and it worked fine. Sometimes you can find a stud with longer internal threads and that will work also because several case threads deep down are still intact.
I'll check into that and see how far down the large hole is drilled.

I'll check into that and see how far down the large hole is drilled.
A few of the Stihl IPL's show two collar (bar stud) screw part numbers attached to the Pic. One of them is the original part and the other is the replacement part with the coarse threads and the next size up. It's rather obvious that Stihl has run into stripped collar screw threads also and this is their solution to fixing it.

Sounds like some of the messes I get into. They bring you a POS that needs a lot of expensive parts and a lot of time. No way you can come out. On that one I would use a time-sert as I have done it several times.

Sounds like some of the messes I get into. They bring you a POS that needs a lot of expensive parts and a lot of time. No way you can come out. On that one I would use a time-sert as I have done it several times.
Even using knock off parts I'm getting a bunch of money in the saw and I haven't even checked to see if it runs or not. I have a 361 of my own and no way would I mess it up like the owner did to this one!

Here's the Stihl repair guide if you think it will help.
I've used these studs a couple of times and they've worked just fine so far.
We had one customer come in with a MS 211 (single stud mount) and every time he took the bar off the whole stud came out with it. He thought this was normal. The way we found out about it was he wanted a new bar and needed "the bar with the nut and bolt already attached" and all the bars he's been looking at didn't come with the stud and nut. :cool:
I asked him to bring in his saw so I could look at it and he had his wife go to his truck and get it. She handed the saw to me and the bar would rock back and forth on the stud. Ever so slightly.
Somehow the threads on the stud got damaged right next to the bar and the stud and nut were loose enough to spin on the bar but the nut was tight enough to spin the stud. Of course the stud hole was too sloppy to screw a standard stud back in it so I used an oversized one.
Once I explained all this to the owner his wife gave him that "You dumb S@#t" look. So, feeling bad for the guy I quickly told them "Don't worry, this happens a lot." He smiled, the wife calmed down, and another satisfied customer walked out of the shop. đź‘Ť

Good luck on your repair!!

Attachments

• Stihl Oversize Bar Stud Repair.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Back