MS390 shortblock reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterWalker

Avid Troller
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a Stihl MS290 and I'm looking to upgrade to a 390 shortblock. I have searched the treads and I'm still uncertain about the aftermarket 49mm kits. I have been trying to find a good Stihl 390 jug and piston kit, but can't seem to have any luck finding one without going to a new one. Has anybody been running an aftermarket kit pretty hard and for a while that could give me a thumbs up or down on what they are running?

Or if anybody has a good Stihl 390 jug they'd like to part with please shoot me a P.M.

Thanks
Lincoln

This must be the week for these saws. I put two of the 69.00 engines off the bay in 290s deleted decomp used caber rings oem circlips pulled limiters muff mod and retuned that was about two years ago and they still run great one was hutzel one was no name. I've heard good things about cross performance kits.

Thanks Grack- I really appreciate the input. Did they go together pretty good? I've heard there were some kits that had timing issues and casting flaws that caught and broke rings. Did you have do anything to it other than assemble and tune?

No problems at all but i had done a few rebuilds on that series before a nice magnetic parts tray makes it much easier. as far as the engines i didn't need to do anything but in several other chinese kits i had to remove casting flash smooth the port edges and clean up the sparkplug holes a ts400 cylinder didn't have the exhaust bolt holes drilled so i did that but all of them has been usable. i know they aren't oem quality but the have worked great for me.

I bought a ms 390 cheap, straight gassed for sure, over heated. Wasn't sure what else. It was in excellent cosmetic shape. I used a complete shortblock from Baileys. On sale and 10%. Direct bolt on move decomp valve. Cost a little more but time saver. Few tank fulls. I want to get some more hard use on it. Might sell then or give to my nephew.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I've had no trouble with aftermarket kits so far, building one right now and probably will build at least another this Spring. On some I go as cheap as possible and on some I've used the Caber rings and circlips but I've had similar performance from both. I think a guy should install the heat shield between the muffler and the cylinder when going to a 390, fairly cheap to buy but easy to make also..

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. That eases my mind about the aftermarket stuff. I will post back when I figure out what I come up with and how it runs. I'm headed for the sunshiney state of Florida tomorrow, and my chainsaw project is going to the back burner for a week and a half.

Thanks again
Lincoln

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. That eases my mind about the aftermarket stuff. I will post back when I figure out what I come up with and how it runs. I'm headed for the sunshiney state of Florida tomorrow, and my chainsaw project is going to the back burner for a week and a half.

Thanks again
Lincoln

Old post but if you are following this, two years later how well is the motor holding up?
I'm not sure IF any aftermarket engine assembly would ever be built as well as an OEM, does anyone have any idea what brand has less quality control issues?
I don't plan to sell my saw. Would like to put a very good motor in it. So do I need to skip aftermarket and use only OEM?

The one's i put together are still running.
No issue's

If i build any more i'll use the cross 390 with popup piston.
I've seen some good vids

Please tell me where to find information on those parts. What is a pop-up piston and is Cross a brand name? Thanks,
Guy's are getting 170 or so comp instead of 150
CP31039-2.jpg

Guy's are getting 170 or so comp instead of 150

View attachment 633767

Wow, that's amazing. I think what I understand is you use that piston with an aftermarket motor.
The cylinders made by Sthil, are they made better than aftermarket stuff and if so is there a really well built aftermarket motor that you like?
My 029 Sthil is really good but I have an old 026 Sthil that may need a new engine next year. Thanks

Stihl is always preferable
But I run alot of aftermarket cylinders.
No problems
Cross has cylinders too and all the other parts
I don't think they have shortblocks though.

Back