Ms460 crankshaft install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggunn770

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the tool to install the Fly Wheel side of crankshaft. Can you just press it together with a shop press or will that bend the crank. I have the pto side tool to pull the crank into position, just can't figure out the fly wheel side. I don't want to use the hot case cold crank method. Not a fan of heating things up. Thank you in advance.

I should also note that I've rebuilt plenty of top ends, but this is my first lower end install. So forgive my ignorance.

Welcome to AS. If you don't wanna use heat just pull the halves together using slightly longer case bolts. Tighten each a bit at a time, don't be freaked when the case pops. Tap the crankshaft with a hammer to release any stress and center the crank.

Case bolts are 5x20, I use 5x25 until the halves get close, then replace them with the 5x20.

I have MattyO ‘s tool, but rarely use the Fly side. Generally I heat the case, drop the bearing in and wait 3 minutes for the bearing to soak up the heat. Then I stab the flywheel side crank right in without difficulty.

I have MattyO ‘s tool, but rarely use the Fly side. Generally I heat the case, drop the bearing in and wait 3 minutes for the bearing to soak up the heat. Then I stab the flywheel side crank right in without difficulty.
I follow Matt on YT, but I think he said 170 for his tools in the video. I personally think that's just a tad too much for me. The tool is nice, and I'd like to do more then just this one saw but im new to being in depth on saws. I have the mechanical know how from building four wheelers, dirty bikes, tractors, and lots of other things. Im using this saw as a learning tool to further advance my knowledge of mechanics. I've bought a lot of the tools I need to take apart and reassemble this saw. Stihl is very tight lipped on what they use to fi the fly wheel side of the saw. I guess there is a disc with a bunch of holes in it that mounts to the fw case and jacks the crank through. I've even tried to become a gold level stihl certified tech but you have to have a dealer sponsor you. I now understand why people like husky so much. It's easy easier to get tools and parts.

Back