MS460 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i ordered the Stihl ported front cover for my 460 today, i will be taking the limiter caps off the carb adjusting screws for tuning, do i need to do any more mods the the muff? more holes? that is all i'm gonna do to it for now, also wondering what rpm i should be running with the muffler mod, thanks.:chainsaw:

my 460

i ordered the Stihl ported front cover for my 460 today, i will be taking the limiter caps off the carb adjusting screws for tuning, do i need to do any more mods the the muff? more holes? that is all i'm gonna do to it for now, also wondering what rpm i should be running with the muffler mod, thanks.:chainsaw:

My 460 is muffler modded with a 8 pin sproket with 20" bar. I use it as my main logging saw......it gets er' done.:greenchainsaw:

If you already have the DP cover, take out the screen and reinstall the plate then grind that hole out some more. Now you have the option to use the screen if needed. Like this:

attachment.php

Your saw should run good at 13,500-13,800 rpm, do a few test cuts and see how you like it.

Last edited:
just got the carb off, now i can't figure out how to get the limiter caps off the screws.

Just screw a fine-pitch drywall screw partially into the middle of the cap using your fingers. Once it feels like it has bitten the plastic a bit, turn the needle screw counterclockwise until you can see the red plastic tab through the small slot next to the screw. Pull on the drywall screw and the plastic cap should come right off. Worked for me like a charm.

I then just opened the H screw up about 1/2 turn and poped the cap back on. You may need more or less high speed jet changes, so YMMV.

rpm

If you already have the DP cover, take out the screen and reinstall the plate then grind that hole out some more. Now you have the option to use the screen if needed. Like this:

attachment.php

Your saw should run good at 13,500-13,800 rpm, do a few test cuts and see how you like it.

Oh yea...I forgot to post my 460's rpm.....right now it is turning 13,800-13,900. Last time I tached it it was at 13,840. It RUNS.....for a 460 anyway.....:greenchainsaw:

If you already have the DP cover, take out the screen and reinstall the plate then grind that hole out some more. Now you have the option to use the screen if needed. Like this.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my new MS460. Just opening up the slot in the front cover. Has that given you much increase in power? Also what carby adjustments would i need to do once i have made that mod? (ie. leaner or richer?)
Cheers!
Jono.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my new MS460. Just opening up the slot in the front cover. Has that given you much increase in power? Also what carby adjustments would i need to do once i have made that mod? (ie. leaner or richer?)
Cheers!
Jono.

It's hard to say without hearing your saw, more than likely it will need to be made richer. A tach is the best way to read your max rpm, after that you can fine tune by ear and use timed cuts to see where it cuts best.

Any saw with an open up muffler needs to be richer, it's obvious they breath more.

True in theory but I have seen new saws set way richer than needed, had a 361 turning 13,000. After the lake mod and a tiny H adjustment, it was at 14,300 and running sweet, didn't even need to pull the H limiter.:D

I didn't have to pull my carb to get the limiter off. I just popped the rubber grommet out of the side that covers the adjustments, took the stihl puller tool, pulled it out, trimmed it, and put it right back. then stuck the grommet back in.

Latest posts

Back