MS460 Muffler Upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 460 is showing a bit of rust on the stock muffler. I figure if I replace it, I might as well upgrade it. I've never done anything but run fuel & oil through this saw. Totally bone stock. It is about a 12 year old saw now (I think. close enough)

The mod that always pops up is "dual port muffler", and a quick search finds a ton of options on amazon ranging from 15-40 dollars, so I'm not sure which one to get. I'm sure there is varying quality. I'd like to keep the spark arrestor so I don't burn up any property that I'm graciously allowed to cut on. Any suggestions on where to get a good muffler?

Some simple air intake mods too maybe?

If I do all of this, do I need to rejet or, whatever? Any suggestions there? Is it easy to get to? I do most of my cutting between 3500-6000 feet.

You should readjust the carb after doing mods. On saws mild mods usually can be handled with the external carb adjustment screws, no need to change jets like on motorcycle carbs. Saw tuning is traditionally much richer than motorcycles. The saw should four stroke a bit when you lift in the cut.

I think I got a dual port cover for my 460 on ebay, but Bailey's is always a safe bet. You don't need the whole muffler just the cover. Keeping the existing back half means you can keep the spark arrestor. The exit hole on the back half can be enlarged some while keeping the screen and the external 'hood' that directs the flow forwards.

For the intake, the HD2 filter filters better than the earlier ones especially the metal mesh one. There are also oiled foam filter kits but I have not run one of those.

Why not go all the way?

Well, maybe one day, but... I dunno, the 460 powers through the larch and fir I cut pretty well already :). I found a pretty billet aluminum muffler cover on ebay, I wonder if they're any good. Certainly bling factor. I'm not sure if it'll feel right on a chain saw.

Well, maybe one day, but... I dunno, the 460 powers through the larch and fir I cut pretty well already :). I found a pretty billet aluminum muffler cover on ebay, I wonder if they're any good. Certainly bling factor. I'm not sure if it'll feel right on a chain saw.
Hard pass on the billet cover. Or any of the modified covers on ebay.

Just buy the oem style front cover that has an outlet on it and open that up a bit. Done. Porting isn't all that much $$$ either.

The alloy cover has...tiny ports.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I put this on my 460, its rowdy but it woke it up quite a bit.
a52a39eeeda2d7053937c65e3de8dd72.jpg

I put this on my 460, its rowdy but it woke it up quite a bit.
a52a39eeeda2d7053937c65e3de8dd72.jpg

Looks cool but also looks like the exhaust is blasting right at the case. Not the best. With the dual port muffler you can just open up both outlets and its enough. Or run the solid front cover with one pipe out the top right corner.

Looks cool but also looks like the exhaust is blasting right at the case. Not the best. With the dual port muffler you can just open up both outlets and its enough. Or run the solid front cover with one pipe out the top right corner.
The top of the inner dog catches some, case is clear, it really directs no more heat at the case than a dual port. I had a dp cover and opened up stock outlet, its on my 440 now.

5267e2f4a593da6189a1a0103085bb4d.jpg
626a9c7f9ce2f2dd58e742910981a04f.jpg

Sorry, when I said "make my own" I meant modify my own. Could I make my own? Sure I could make one from scratch. Would it be worth my time? Absolutely not.

Back