MS461 Piston failure diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crank seals probably. Bearings not unless I have to. Haven't found the missing piece of metal, but I've only owned the saw for 24 hours, so whinnies what happened before me.
Are they running smooth and quietly and is there any up and down play? Does that saw have a recessed seal on the flywheel side?

Are you splitting the cases? Are the crank support bearings making any noise you did have metal go in there? And are you doing new crank seals?
A thorough inspection with a really good flaslight of the bearing cages is a must, but I wouldn't split the cases unless I see a problem. I can't tell from the pic if the saw is a high hour saw, or the previous owner just was a slob.
Most debris chunks don't get on the seal side of the bearings That I've ever seen.
Flush it out with WD-40 a couple times and blow the crankcase out with compressed air. If you tilt the saw on it's sides, it will let the gook flow out from behind the bearings that has pooled up.

The bearings felt really good when I've tried turning it over, but at the moment the top end is still on, so it's hard to tell for sure. But it definitely feels "normal", just with low compression. Like, you can't tell a difference between with the decomp on vs off. I'll know a lot more once I get it broken down (and will take pics!). Will be sure to clean it first to avoid more contamination. If there's pulverized piston powder in there, I'll split the case and replace.

Air filter looked clean, but it's a mesh looking thing, not like the paper filter with felt pre-filter on my 460. Cheap aftermarket filter maybe?

The bearings felt really good when I've tried turning it over, but at the moment the top end is still on, so it's hard to tell for sure. But it definitely feels "normal", just with low compression. Like, you can't tell a difference between with the decomp on vs off. I'll know a lot more once I get it broken down (and will take pics!). Will be sure to clean it first to avoid more contamination. If there's pulverized piston powder in there, I'll split the case and replace.

Air filter looked clean, but it's a mesh looking thing, not like the paper filter with felt pre-filter on my 460. Cheap aftermarket filter maybe?
You know how to split that case?

Funny story. I should have realized that (I think?) Stihl got rid of the "Magnum" designation for the 461. Thus, the sticker on this one should have been dead giveaway. And in the right light, the tag on top says 460. Aaaanddd, the starter has the spot for the rectangular badge, not the round one like the 461. You more experienced guys would have spotted that straight away. But I'm still happy with an(other) MS460 for $100. Like I said, the 25" Rollmatic ES & like new chain are worth that. ;)

The bearings feel great--I have no worries there. The inside of the crankcase (that I could see) had no foreign debris. I'll of course still be flushing it for good measure.

The cylinder looks (in my opinion) like it'll do just fine. But you guys correct me if I'm wrong. I can only barely feel ridges in the cyl wall, and nothing hangs a fingernail. I'm thinking of just trying the scotch brite ball thing I've read about here. This will be my first attempt at a cylinder cleanup.

Anyway, you asked for pics, so here they are. Whatcha think?

IMG_5563.jpg IMG_5569.jpg IMG_5570.jpg IMG_5571.jpg IMG_5572.jpg IMG_5573.jpg

Back