MS660 HD3 air filter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been beat to death but I'm getting conflicting info on this. i bought a new ms660 and was pretty shocked after taking off the air filter after one day of sawing. Had all kind of fines around the carb. Cleaned it all out and reinstalled the cleaned filter and made sure it was tight. Next day at lunch I took it off and it was the same. Seems to leak around the post and you hopefully can see it from this pic.

attachment.php

This is after 3 tanks of fuel. I read on here about a new filter and wrote the number down and went to a dealer. It wasn't my normaldealer but I was in the neighborhood and I had my old filter. They said it was a good number but they didn't have any in stock. He went to their displays and pulled a filter from a new and said here you go. It was the same as what I had and he "claimed" it was the "upgraded" one. I asked him to pull an old stock one and it was the same as well so I left there.

Made a mistake in the topic line. It should be an HD2 filter

Made it to my normal dealer today and they said they never heard of the problem and have never ordered the new one. They called Stihl's tech line and they said that I didn't have it tight enough and there is no problem with the old filtering system. I told the counter guy I, along with you or Stihl must not be tightening it tight enough as it was bad from the factory settings.

The tech guy then went on to say that they will not sell any of the new HD2 filters till the old ones are all bought up. NICE!!!! I swear I saw a pic on here and they are completely different. Who's lying here or am I just nuts? Have any of you have them allready? They said 2-3 weeks at the earliest.

Last edited:
I find the 066/660 filtration to be pretty poor. I helped out a new tank on one the other day and there were fines all through it. So I don't think you are gonna find one that is perfect. The old, old filters had rubber coatings and sealed good.

I have yet to try the new filter, but will here soon. Stihl filtration on the 044, 046, 066 and 088 leave a lot to be desired.

Forgive me if this has been beat to death but I'm getting conflicting info on this. i bought a new ms660 and was pretty shocked after taking off the air filter after one day of sawing. Had all kind of fines around the carb. Cleaned it all out and reinstalled the cleaned filter and made sure it was tight. Next day at lunch I took it off and it was the same. Seems to leak around the post and you hopefully can see it from this pic.

attachment.php

This is after 3 tanks of fuel. I read on here about a new filter and wrote the number down and went to a dealer. It wasn't my normaldealer but I was in the neighborhood and I had my old filter. They said it was a good number but they didn't have any in stock. He went to their displays and pulled a filter from a new and said here you go. It was the same as what I had and he "claimed" it was the "upgraded" one. I asked him to pull an old stock one and it was the same as well so I left there.

Made a mistake in the topic line. It should be an HD2 filter

Made it to my normal dealer today and they said they never heard of the problem and have never ordered the new one. They called Stihl's tech line and they said that I didn't have it tight enough and there is no problem with the old filtering system. I told the counter guy I, along with you or Stihl must not be tightening it tight enough as it was bad from the factory settings.

The tech guy then went on to say that they will not sell any of the new HD2 filters till the old ones are all bought up. NICE!!!! I swear I saw a pic on here and they are completely different. Who's lying here or am I just nuts? Have any of you have them allready? They said 2-3 weeks at the earliest.

thats bs. i have ordered half dozen of the hd2 filters from my dealer and so have others. your dist is bryan equipment and they have been shipping them out when ordered.

Thanks for posting, Kevin in Ohio. I'm hoping our Australian members will read your post because they claim American sawdust is not a problem and Americans don't need to upgrade their HD1 filters. :laugh:

There can be issues with the HD1, I have posted about that and how to fix those issues in another thread. Supposedly the HD2 is also a fix, though I have yet to try one myself.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/139608.htm

I have two sitting at the farm up in Illinois. Told the dealer about them, he looked them up and ordered them. No big deal.

Sam

Hmmm!

Thanks for posting, Kevin in Ohio. I'm hoping our Australian members will read your post because they claim American sawdust is not a problem and Americans don't need to upgrade their HD1 filters. :laugh:

There can be issues with the HD1, I have posted about that and how to fix those issues in another thread. Supposedly the HD2 is also a fix, though I have yet to try one myself.

Well i just read those linked threads about filters and unless i missed it ,knowhere has anyone from Australia made such claims,the claims are stateing that REDGUM DUST passes through the filter media not passed the seal Well i totally agree with you on the poor set up and all [/U]But come on mate ,we're only posting real life experiance ,
Not assumption ............but heck what do we know, we're only Australians..........................................

Thanks to all for the "ammo" when I go back to the dealer. I mainly cut dead or wind downed trees, a large percentage of it is Beech. I've never run into it (fines around the carb) with any of Dad's old Homelites and that is why I was so shocked when I went to blow out the Stihl. Kevin

Latest posts

Back