Ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always made faster timed cuts with full comp square. The full skip is nice when it's time to sharpen but slower overall cuts. If you have the power to pull it full comp will be faster.

What do you guys think of this one...ebay item number 300727620924. This saw is brand new but has the 066 fuel n oil caps, high output oiler and duel port muffler wtf??? How would I order one like this? Would it even still be avaliable in the US?

you need to order the 660 wrap model and dual port cover. 660R is commonly available in the PNW, needs to be special ordered in most other areas.

no 660s currently, wrap or not, will come with a dual port muffler but is still available to order.

The MS650 also has no flippies.

Yea...I was wrong about the brochure too. When i looked at it again this evening it showed only the clutch side. I could swear I saw a picture of one em though. Oh well flippy caps or not shes 1,100 n some change out the door with the 3/4 wrap plus what ever the stihl d.p. n 32" chain n sugi bar is.

I'm needing a big saw, my Stihl 362 with 20-inch bar is great but I need a Stihl 066 with a 36-inch bar for the virgin timber that came down during the storm of June 29 that hit WV. My question and the advice I'm seeking is on what I will call the dealer and order. This is what I think by your previous post that I should order, please advise if this is correct or wrong;

Stihl 660R (Full Wrap Handle) Not sure what the "R" stands for
Stihl 36-inch bar
High Output Oiler
Dual Port Cover Exhaust
Limiter Caps (I have no idea what limiter caps are, can someone explain)
Limiter Caps Puller

Note: With the exhaust being opened up with the Dual Port Cover, should I have the dealer richen the fuel to air mixture up to compensate for the lean condition?

Chains are still a question for me and since I do all my own sharpening (Oregan Bench Mount Chain Grinder (very seldom) and the Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide (all most always)) any advice is greatly appreciated, I have two types of cutting - clean wood when I'm felling and firewood cutting with sometimes dirty wood. I usually purchase 4 to 6 chains with each saw so please let me know your thoughts on the application and sharpening method for the best results.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to an old hillbilly with a lot of big wood waiting on a big saw.

The R designation stands for the wrap handle model, the limiter caps are little plastic caps in the carb you need to remove to tune the saw, (they recommend replacing these after they are removed.) Definitely have the saw retuned if the dual port muffler is installed, and RSF full skip chain should be a good choice for your cutting conditions.

that is a great combo you will be more than happy with it,i have a 28 b&c on mine with rsc and it just wants more! and it likes fuel!!:msp_biggrin:

I have a new 660 I bought in 2009 with a dealer installed dual port and I installed the high output oiler bolt and piston. I keep a 36" bar on it all the time for the big trees I come across. I really like to cut with it, always have a silly grin! Remember, there is no replacement for displacement!

Steve

I'm needing a big saw, my Stihl 362 with 20-inch bar is great but I need a Stihl 066 with a 36-inch bar for the virgin timber that came down during the storm of June 29 that hit WV. My question and the advice I'm seeking is on what I will call the dealer and order. This is what I think by your previous post that I should order, please advise if this is correct or wrong;

Stihl 660R (Full Wrap Handle) Not sure what the "R" stands for
Stihl 36-inch bar
High Output Oiler
Dual Port Cover Exhaust
Limiter Caps (I have no idea what limiter caps are, can someone explain)
Limiter Caps Puller

Note: With the exhaust being opened up with the Dual Port Cover, should I have the dealer richen the fuel to air mixture up to compensate for the lean condition?

Chains are still a question for me and since I do all my own sharpening (Oregan Bench Mount Chain Grinder (very seldom) and the Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide (all most always)) any advice is greatly appreciated, I have two types of cutting - clean wood when I'm felling and firewood cutting with sometimes dirty wood. I usually purchase 4 to 6 chains with each saw so please let me know your thoughts on the application and sharpening method for the best results.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to an old hillbilly with a lot of big wood waiting on a big saw.

The 660R is the 3/4 wrap handle, not a full wrap. A 3/4 or full wrap handle is nice because it gives you more options. Not so nice if you are flush cutting stumps.

Limiter caps are what come on the carb tuning screws. You can't order a saw without them, and you don't need to fool with them unless you do a muffler mod on the 660 to increase HP (or install the dual port muff), in which case you'll need to pull the limiter cap at least on the H screw and retune. There are many threads here on AS on how to do that.

If you are going to routinely use a 36-inch bar, get the HO oiler. If you only will use the 36 occasionally, just turn up your stock oiler to max (which you should do anyway) and you'll be fine. A 36-inch Stihl ES Light bar costs a chunk more than a standard ES bar, but saves you weight and improves balance.

Chain? Well, that's a whole nother 3,859 threads here on AS. :D :D :D

Ms 660r

Hi Boomher
The MS 660R is the 3/4 wrap model as stated earlier. The 660R comes from the factory with / 3/4 wrap handle / The high output oiler / the extended clutch cover with roller chain catcher and extended chip defelecter / and it also has a larger high side carberator jet. You will need to order the dual port extra, I would order some extra limiter caps #4203 121 2700 and the limiter cap removal tool #5910 890 4500. I always run a few tank thru them before I install the dual port muf. I have quite a few of these saws along with 460Rs, you will not be disipointed with this saw. I have been using them for years and if you take care of it properly it will last a life time. I am also very much sold on Stihl Ultra oil, and if you can find non ethinol fuel it will eleviate a lot of problems.
My dealer is serviced through the Ohio distruberter and they always have them on hand. The dealer I use is Riddle Tractor Sales in Spencer Indiana.
Good luck and safe sawing Jim

Back