MS661 Won't Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCCB89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I pulled my MS661 apart for cleaning and inspection last weekend. I found some light scratches on the exhaust side of my piston and decided to go ahead and replace the piston. I put in a hyway pop-up piston with hyway rings. I cleaned the cylinder with a flex-hone and reassembled the saw. I tried to start it up and it coughed a couple times on the 3rd pull. That is all I've got it to do. Any idea's of what might be wrong with it?

You generally shouldn’t hone chainsaw cylinders because they have a very thin nickasil plating. What’s the compression after rebuilding it? Also, did you identify why the piston was damaged in the first place? If you have a pressure vac tester you can check for an air leak which might be giving you trouble.

Compression is reading about 145. I dont have a vac tester. The saw was running fine when I pulled it apart. I take my 3 most used saws apart and clean them and inspect for any damage or potential problems once a year. This 661 is about 5 years old and I assumed the piston was just starting to scratch from wear. I just wanted to go ahead and replace it before it caused any damage to the cylinder.

How about a pic of the original piston?

I agree with Isaw...piston scoring = pressure and vac test.

Have you tried 1/2 teaspoon of mixed gas down the plug hole...reassemble...attempt to start?

Roy

I found the problem today. When putting the carb back on the saw, I had split the fuel line and most of the fuel was going into the carb box instead of into the cylinder. Put a new fuel line on and it started on the second pull. I bucked about 12' of maple into firewood before it got too dark to see, and it ran perfectly.

Latest posts

Back