Muds Coming!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The skies are finally clouding up for some serious rainfall. We have only received a couple inches of rain so far this winter and we really need more! Of course this means mud and slippery roads an soft ground. I sold my tractor last year so I have nothing to pull out the Dodge so today the kids and I headed to the ranch for what may be the last firewood of the season. I have a decent supply at home and another pile at the horse corrals but I'm always wanting more. I just heard today of a big oak that fell down a month ago on another cattle ranch a few miles up the coast. By the sound of things I can either drive to it or winch it to the truck. It will be a year before I can burn it but dang if it doesn't make me feel better just having it cut and split up and in a pile I can drive to at any time.

Tomorrow I am taking the chipper to the Christmas tree lot the scout troop volunteered at to chip 185 unsold trees. It should be raining but that's OK. Dern shame the trees were not sold but that's business.

BTW I am proud to say my 13 year old daughter ran the splitter today and split about 3/4 of a cord by herself. Some of the oak rounds weighed 60-70 lbs and she moved them without help.

Take that Dodge and put some lockers in the diffs and some big Super Swampers on it and you won't need a tractor! Mopars RULE ! ! ! !

We've been getting snow. Looks like a whole nother inch last night! I only found one clump of suicidal trees in the road to cut out yesterday. I can't get to my firewood place cuz, this sounds like material for a song, I got a 2 wheel drive pickup and a 4 wheel drive car. And I hate putting on chains. Our PNW (westside) snow is of a concrete consistancy. It makes wonderful snow/slush balls, knocks out power, tips over trees...lovely stuff. Another reason that nobody should move here!:) Enjoy your rain. Hope you get more.

Mud!!!! heh whilst everybody is a belly achin!!!!

I guess Im lucky on my firewood this year ,,, my woods most all cut and split,,, and what I have left to split can be got with a maul and my big splitter is running good and it can get the big oak rounds I have left,,, about twenty of them to bust up!!!!!! and they are right by the splitter
Rain and Mud!!!!!!!!
Yeah welcome to our world,,,,its been one of the rainiest winters on record,, down here on the horizontal 30,,,,,,
Its so wet I cant use my tractor or my Mower cause it will rut the yard up,,, and to make matters worse the frost have been so lite and far between the weeds are still growing like,,, well,,,,, weeds,,, go figure,,, so I went and got me the latest in Redneck weed eater technology!!!!!!

are yall ready???? Meet Jack!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
River - Unique name ;). I know a few people that use donkeys to protect their cattle. They are a lot smarter than I ever thought they were.

River - Unique name ;). I know a few people that use donkeys to protect their cattle. They are a lot smarter than I ever thought they were.

Yes they are,,, They can put a (Pardon the Pun) Real Azz Whoopin on a dog, Coyote or wolf,,, Real quick like,,,,I dont think he qualifies as a Mammoth Jack but he will go about 700 lb and has so far one quarter horse mare in foal (due in Feb according to the vet) and he is pretty gentle, easy to ride,,, hes not really mine but he is doing a real fine job on the weed eating,,, but he will not even tolerate a dog of any kind,,, He put all three of my mutts in their place real quick like,,,, They wont go near him any more,,,, it didn't take him but one show of authority to get his message across,,,,

4wd is nice to have, however sometimes all it does get you farther in the mud before you get hung up.

Yep!!!! +1

4wd is nice to have, however sometimes all it does get you farther in the mud before you get hung up.

Around here its all river bottom top soil with some sandy ridges and every now and then some hard clay and when its been raining like it is if you dont have 4 wheel drive with some good ground grips or a tractor,,,,,

Dont even think about getting off of the drive way or road,,,,,,

and if you get in the gumbo mud,,,,,,,, ya better have the Super Swampers or Gumbo Mudders with some HP to clean em out,,,, or youre going down!!!!!!

Last edited:
RiverRat and RiverJack, the a$$ kickin, mud defeating duo! :bowdown: But is he stubborn? Looks like he enjoys posing for the camera too!

Last edited:
RiverRat and RiverJack, the a$$ kinkin, mud defeating duo! :bowdown: But is he stubborn? Looks like he enjoys posing for the camera too!

Oh yeah he is quite the celebrity,,,,If you walk out toward the back yard and hes hungy he will make ya laugh braying, carryiing on, and hee Hawing till he gets his daily ration of feed corn and a few molasses treats,,,,:dizzy: The stubboness goes without saying,,,,,, Yes!!!!!!

Last edited:
We got our first snow last night, about 3" and rising. Driving into town after the first snow is always fun. Several 2wd cars and pickups stuck along the road, some abandoned in the middle of the road. :dizzy: The flat-landers who move up here in the summer always have to learn the hard way.
Dok

Mud???????

Not here!!!

It has been blowing like crazy since last night and these drifts are all finely packed snow which is a PITA to blow. I broke 2 pin's and 3 bolts in one wheel doing 3 driveways today as it was so hard to go through.

Of course it could have been worse as it was supposed to turn to rain but it stayed cold so at least it did not turn into slushies.

We are supposed to get up to 15 more cm's of snow this evening...Oh what fun!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

River;
Do you have any jumping mules?
Rob

I had one years back that was trained for jumping,,,that we used for coon hunting @ night,,,, riding and pulling a wagon,,, she was a jim dandy,,,,, about 14 hands and 850-900 lb you could ride her up to a fence get off place a cut piece of tarp over the top wire of the fence drop the reins over, get on the other side and give the reins a little tug and over she would come!!!!!!

don't currently own any livestock,,,,,,

don't currently own any livestock,,,,,,

LOL...Want some? Sometimes I think we're running a retirement home for farm animals around here.
And as far as mud goes...we got it. I spend all day up in the Sierras in the snow (we're doing a burn salvage) and then come back home to the valley and slog around in the mud. We put shot-rock around the barns and feeders this year but theres still enough boggy spots to remind you that it's really winter. And to get more rock next year.
Once in a great while we'll get a little snow here where I live and on those days I stay home...I 'm used to driving on snow but 99% of the valley dwellers aren't and it get's a little crazy. But the entertainment value is almost worth it.:)

Once in a great while we'll get a little snow here where I live and on those days I stay home...I 'm used to driving on snow but 99% of the valley dwellers aren't and it get's a little crazy. But the entertainment value is almost worth it.:)

Do you realize that those 99% probably say the same thing? My foo foo pickup might get out today. We got a skiff of snow last night. Won't get anymore now that I have my "Imported from Wisconsin/or yooper(Michigan)" medium sized snowscoop out and ready. That contraption can really move snow.

Back