Muff Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi I am fairly new to chainsaws (5 years) I did not want to pay for heating any more, so I went out got a woodstove, a logsplitter, and a chainsaw. I then went on to locate a logger to get log loads from; My first saw was a Husky 445, but after awhile and finding this forum, and my addictive personality, I got a few more saws, I now own 4. I am really starting to enjoy my new hobby, but being the natural motorhead that I am, I feel they need to be suped up a little, just like my cars and motorcycles, so to keep it simple and start easy and cost efficiant ( HA HA HA) I wood like to start out by a simple muffler mod to my 445 and my MS311, my questions are, can it be done first of all and will I notice it. A last but not least and most importantly is how do I do it, I understand it is as easy as drilling a 3/8 hole somewhere, can one of you guys please help, and maybe a pic or 2 might help.
Thanks

Hey man, first off...welcome to the site! There is lots of friendly people on here and I myself have learned a lot.

I am sure lots of others will say the same but please use the "Search" function...this topic and "MM" as its known around here has been discussed in detail.

The basic process is:

1) Remove muffler
2) Drill or make a hole (3/8" is a good start) preferably under the spark arrestor if possible
3) Remove all shavings (important!)
4) Reinstall
5) Retune your carb's H jet a little richer...if you don't do this you will run your saw too lean and risk blowing it up.

Have fun! A MM is one of the simplest yet most effective ways to get a little more HP out of your saw.

:cool2:

Back