Muffler mod or new Non-EPA muffler for Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City, I'm going to hit the woods this afternoon for the Pepsi Challenge. It's been a few weeks since I've run it (pre-mod) so I hope I haven't lost my feel as well. I'll get an update out on Monday. :smoking:

Woo hoo! It ripped and tore! Like someone else said, it would've been nice to put it on an identical log and time the cut. I can't say that stock vs. mod was like night and day but I did see/feel some improvement. My best description might be to say that it didn't bog down as much when bucking a big round. I really had no complaints about the stock performance but I am always looking for a way to make a good product better. I'm just glad it worked after reading Cityevader's post. If the saw cuts a little faster and runs a little cooler, I'm satisfied. :chainsaw:

Perhaps I'm the exception...I would have preferred to spend the $180 in "repairs" elsewhere, especially without noticeable performance gain.

Ssssiiiiiiigggghhhhh

He got a little overbilled, but the problem was coming and may have already been well on it's way anyhow.

The boot clamp failing is unrelated to the carb work, maybe a little tugging on the carb was the last straw, but not the root cause. In a way discovering the problem as he did may have saved a jug and piston, as a slow air leak over time on a carb with limiter caps is going to cause some piston and cyl wall damage.

For $40 and a five dollar donation to the local engine shop for taching it, I probably picked up 15%+ more power and hopefully a saw that will breathe easier (and presumably last longer). I'm really digging on this lumber jack stuff. I'm a desk jockey and there is just something fun about getting dirty, sweating a lot, and running machinery! After a bucking and stacking session, I can stand back and admire my own progress. I'm building a house on 14 wooded acres and will be moving in sometime next month. The primary heat source will be the Pacific Energy stove and the house design is very conducive to heating with wood. I've cut some firewood over the years, particularly as a young man living at home but back then (as a non-homeowner) I didn't quite have the feeling of energy independence that is coming on strong for me right now. I'm very much looking forward to flipping the bird to the Saudi's. I have to buy their gas for my car but I won't have to buy their oil ever again. :greenchainsaw:

He got a little overbilled, but the problem was coming and may have already been well on it's way anyhow.

The boot clamp failing is unrelated to the carb work, maybe a little tugging on the carb was the last straw, but not the root cause. In a way discovering the problem as he did may have saved a jug and piston, as a slow air leak over time on a carb with limiter caps is going to cause some piston and cyl wall damage.

That makes me feel a little bit better.
I prefer a car that suddenly no longer starts than one that every week or so won't, randomly leaving you stranded.

Latest posts

Back