Muffler modding an 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetymer

Reaction score
Can someone describe how to muffler mod an older 036 and maybe post some pics. This will be my first attempt at modding a saw and I'm not sure if I need to order a dual port muffler or if I can mod the original. I'm also not sure hoe to go about modding the original muffler. I would also like to be sure this is a saw that will benefit from a muffler mod. Thanks in advance for any info.

TreeSlinger did an add on from a Husky muffler that works nice. He posted it a couple of years ago. It is a simple add on that requires drilling one hole and a couple of screws.

Do a search on 036 Muffler Mod and you will find more than enough info. I don't know what an 036 muff has in it exactly, but pry it apart so you can take all the guts out of it, make the outlet around 80% of your exaust valve area, and port match it to your cyllinder too if you want. Don't forget to adjust your carb richer afterwords.

What part of Ohio are you?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am from the Toledo area. How about you. Go Bucks! Do you mean the cylinder exhaust port when you refer to the exhaust valve? By port match, do you mean to enlarge the opening in the muffler that bolts right to the exhaust port. Another words, the muffler inlet. I did notice that it is a wee bit smaller than the exhaust port?

Thanks for the info. I am from the Toledo area. How about you. Go Bucks! Do you mean the cylinder exhaust port when you refer to the exhaust valve? By port match, do you mean to enlarge the opening in the muffler that bolts right to the exhaust port. Another words, the muffler inlet. I did notice that it is a wee bit smaller than the exhaust port?

Ya the cyllinder exaust port I meant, and I would enlarge the muffler outlet where the exaust gas exits to the specified 70 to 80ish percent. Then where the muffler bolts to the cyllinder, port match the two peices so its a nice smoothe transition. You can get as creative with it as you want.

I'm around the Akron area, but I lived in Bowling Green for a few years, And Upper Sandusky too. I liked BG.

Back