Help! Bar Selection - 3/8 vs .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobyDooDuckDong

My Saws and 4350 vs 4300 Question
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, all my TsuMura bars are currently up for sale (ebay) - been collecting dust too long.....now I'm stuck between keeping the .325 Sugi-Hara bars -or keeping the Cannon 3/8's bars. Ive researched this a fair bit, I'm a homeowner so saws see only occasional use. Trying to get around the expense maintaining stock of two different type chains so....if i keep the Sugi bars, I'm selling the Cannons, or vice-versa

I'm still an admitted novice so asking those with more active brain cells for advice here - 3/8 or .325 - Sugi-Hara or Cannon ?

Dolmar 5105s, mild-port - Muffler mod, squish @ .020 - tuned etc.
RedMax GZ4350 same mild-port, squish, muffler etc.
And a little RedMax GZ360 - stock except muffler mod - love this little saw

Cannon bars are currently installed - CSB-C1-20-50 (3/8) - CSM-C1-16-50 (.370) - and a CSM-C1-14-50 (.370) on the 360

Much Thanks in advance......

I'd be tempted to run .325 on the dolmar, but I don't think you would be doing any of the others any favours by putting anything wider than 3/8 LoPro on them. I think your 5105 comes standard with 3/8 LoPro too so if you had to pick one chain to run on the whole line up that would have to be it IMHO

Trying to get around the expense maintaining stock of two different type chains so.

Expense? I guess, I don't see much, or any, of an expense difference...not for 3-saw homeowner use, anyway.

I would say, the right chain for the 50cc is .325. The little saw really wants 3/8LP.

If you really really must have only one pitch...you will need to consider how each saw is used. Species cut, bar length, size of wood, ...

Roy

I'd be tempted to run .325 on the dolmar, but I don't think you would be doing any of the others any favours by putting anything wider than 3/8 LoPro on them. I think your 5105 comes standard with 3/8 LoPro too so if you had to pick one chain to run on the whole line up that would have to be it IMHO

Appreciated the advice, prompted some additional research and yep, your spot on there....pulled my Cannon back off the for sale list & ordered some chain ....really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Much Thanks!

Back