20" Narrow Kerf Bars for 50cc Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 dl is 18" called length for non Stihl in .325. it takes 81dl to make the same size loop as 72 in 3/8. as in replaceable nose or hard nose.

Oregon has 95txl, Husqvarna has sp33g or something close to that and Stihl has the 3690 23rspro. All somewhat redesigned from the h30/Oregon equilivent.
Franny,if I remember the dates correctly in 2008 Husqvarna went to Oregon and ask if they could manufacture a narrow kerf bar and chain and the H30 was born. Then 7 years latter in 2015 Oregon introduced their own narrow kerf bar and chain speedcut.

I just put the new Stihl light 20” .325 bar on my MS 261 and it totally kicks ass! The .63 gauge NEVER made sense for the 261, other than creating an oddball gauge that made you mostly only able to find chains at a Stihl dealership. The new bar takes 81 driver links, and I had my Stihl dealer make me a full chisel “yellow” chain to test it out... it rips guys, go try one and you’ll see!

Hey Jimmy T, I just bought a Cannon super mini, narrow kerf bar you posted a picture of. It's .325, .050, 81 dl. I bought it to go on a Husqvarna 550xp and had several members who reassured me it would fit, which it does technically. Problem is it seems like the oil wants to go everywhere but on the chain, lol. Makes me think the oil holes aren't lining up and this bar is a Stihl mount?

Colonel 428, Stihl likes to keep everything inhouse and manufacture their own bars and chain. The only thing I disagree with Stihl is they don't allow internet sales of whole goods or parts. I live in a small town and both of our Stihl Dealers have closed and now we have to drive 50 miles round trip. If we lived in Montana it would probably be 200 miles round trip.

I've been running the Stihl 23 RS Pro narrow kerf on a 16" Light 04 bar on my 034 and I see no reason to ever go back to .063.

For a 30 year old saw, it's a hot knife through butter.
I really like Stihl Chains, they are made in Switzerland and their steel is heat treated or case hardened
because they hold their edge longer than any chain out there and I assume the chains are pretty much pre-stretched.

When will Stihl get around to importing their NK 0.325/0.050 bars and chains into the USA?
I'm running that combo right now. They're not widely available but they're here.

Best part is I run an 8T sprocket, so what I lose in torque I make up for with the narrow kerf. Keeps the chain speed fast.

Attachments

• Stihl 034 with Light 04 bar - 23RSPro chain - new clutch cover - 2.jpg
    Stihl 034 with Light 04 bar - 23RSPro chain - new clutch cover - 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Hundred Acre Wood, man that 034 is clean. You must put the air hose to it after each use because it looks brand new. The 034AV series #1125 was produced between 1984 and 1993.

Hundred Acre Wood, man that 034 is clean. You must put the air hose to it after each use because it looks brand new. The 034AV series #1125 was produced between 1984 and 1993.

It's 30 years old this year. Bought it new in 1993. It's cut many cords of firewood and felled many small trees. It's been used hard but never abused. It's been a terrific saw. It owes me nothing.

I cleaned it for that photo when I put the new bar on. Plus that's a new clutch cover because it still had the original clutch cover and that doesn't work with the narrow kerf bar.

Edit: It was NOS in a dealer's inventory. The saw is actually older, and has the front adjustment screw for chain tensioning.

Latest posts

Back