muffler mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whelenfan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see a lot of mention of guys doing or having saws with muffler mods. What are they talking about? Is it something that can be done to any saw? Can I do it at my home shop or is it a part to buy?

Unfortunately you can't go back and see posts from the site past December. There were TONS of pictures and examples for just about every saw made. How hard it is depends on how fancy you want to get. Can you weld/braze?

Unfortunately you can't go back and see posts from the site past December. There were TONS of pictures and examples for just about every saw made. How hard it is depends on how fancy you want to get. Can you weld/braze?

sure you can...here are several pages of threads on MM....here is a link-
http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?searchid=40034
you don't need to weld or braze to MM. i have never done a MM using either method. find you closest husqvarna dealer and have him order you a exhaust deflector and screen for a 288 (they are also available from baileysonline.com). a couple of sheetmetal screws and you are done, except for retuning your carb.
what saw do you want to MM?

there will be someone on here that has a saw like yours and will be more then happy to post a pic of it

I knew someone would come along with better information sooner or later:clap::clap::clap:

The really "cool" looking mods weld a tube on to the muffler. Looks almost like the the shaker headers on an old dragster...now how can i get mine to shoot those cool blue flames at night?

The search was working again yesterday. Theres tons of info there on muff mods. I usually just open up the factory hole a little. Its not as wild as a lot of peoples mods, but does make a difference.

you can mod your muffler without any special tools if you just get creative. my first mod was on a WildThing. I did have a friend braise the original openings closed but I didn't need to go that way, just something I wanted to do.

My John Deere I modded without any welding, but think it thru before you make any mods. I had to close off the new exhaust exit cause..without thinking.. it made my hand unbelievably HOT!!! So I welded it shut and will rethink it later when I have more time.

As others have posted do a search, there is more to modding than makin a bigger hole. I don't remember all the numbers but you over all exhaust opening can't be any bigger than a certain % of the exhaust port. I hope someone will post a link or jump in with the numbers.

silly search

I tried nmurph's link and it seems search down this morning, in case it doesn't get back up here's 50 pages of MM discussion.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/33528.htm

I'm fixing to do the old 288 deflector and screen that nmurph mentioned on a muffler as soon as I get the parts in. It seems to be a pretty simple method if you have a saw that will accomodate it.

Latest posts

Back