Muffler ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a Husky 353 last fall. My question is about the Cat muffler that comes stock on the saw. In reading other posts about eng temps being warmer with Cat muffler, I'm wondering if it would be worth putting a non cat on the saw? I'm not concerned with more power just longer life of saw. Is this something I should do? I would think that the saw manufacturers would design saws that use cats to withstand the warmer operating temps. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!:bowdown:

If you're not looking for more power, or running it long and hard, like on a sawmill, don't mess with it. The saw will last for years. Keeping it tuned, clean and sharp will do far more than anything you do to the muffler.
Punching out the muffler makes it so loud, it can take the fun and comfort out of running it. The saw will also pollute more than it already does.

I have a 359 the first log I cut with the cat muffler started on fire.

I ordered the non cat muffler and have not had any more problems.

I cannot say if it has any more power though. I did not run it very long with the cat muffler.

I did have to adjust the carb but not very much. I would recommend taking it to a shop after you put the muffler on to have the carb adjusted.

Last edited:
Back