Mulberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
got less than a face cord of mulberry from a friend who had some tree work done. i saved some chips and fragments to try and use as chips for my gas bbq. i am not sure if the tree was male or female, but i am assuming if i take a flame to a piece that i will know if i got the good stuff or the bad stuff? also, if i got the good stuff, does it have to season or does it not matter? thanks

I have been burning some wood from a male tree and have not noticed much of a smell but I am a smoker so not to sensitive in that area--burns pretty good but alot of snap crackle and pop

If you are going to use it for smoking poultry I soak the chips in water before use anyway. I have never heard it depends upon the sex of the species. I always have a consistent result when I use Mulberry for smoking.

I've had some strange results from smoking with Mulberry. I got a face cord from a large mulberry tree this past fall. Much of the tree was dead so I cut split and stacked it up. I took one log hit it with the ax to get chips soaked them in water and smoked some chicken Fantastic. A few weeks later I did the same thing with a different log and it was very bitter. It almost seems that different limbs of the tree have different chemical markups. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I have a crappy 4" mulberry in my back yard that I am considering making into smoke wood as I have heard good things about smoking with mulberry. I also keep asking the tree guy that gives me logs to get me some mulberry. (He did give me a large cherry log so I can't complain.) This is the first time that I have heard that sex of the tree matters. Where did you get the information on mulberry and sex of the tree. I googled various incarnations of "mulberry male female smoke wood" and came up with nothing.

Ribs going on the weber

P2290002.jpg

i may be wrong, but i believe i read a thread some time back here where someone said there was a difference. i have never burned mulberry before, so i am not speaking from experience. i just got a half-cord of black cherry from a tree service, and am looking forward to smoking some fish and chicken. will also be a first for me

Back