mulch from the spoils of tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have about 4k/cy of landscape mulch at our shop. I spread about six yards around my house today. wow! the quality of the mulch is shredded not "wood chippy", no big chunks, and the color is a chestnut brown. I am very impressed with the quality of the product. I am looking to sell 2-3k yards wholesale. Does any one know of landscapers, landscape supply yards in the southeastern, ma. area that I could contact about mulch? 100cy trailers. Cheap money for great mulch I just want to move it. I need the room. Thanks, jimView attachment 229646

bag it all and sell it to home depot for $3 a bag. That would be lots of bags. Call some of the big mulch supplers, maybe they will buy it from you.

Well, considering he has a grinder, loader, and an excavator, I would say he is a contender with the "big mulch guys". Capecod, I would check around with local garden centers. They will eat that stuff up! Especially if you pitch it as "we are a tree care company looking to get rid of our local recycled material, and we have prepared excellent shredded mulch." It is the local word that should help the sale. My old business partner in NJ is producing material and selling it at his own garden center, plus local guys are buying it in 80 yd tractor trailer loads for their landscape companies. It is all recycled from clearing jobs and tree care companies that are right around him, and people seem to take some comfort that it's not trucked in from jabip and containing reground pallets, etc etc....

Should be an easy sale for you, just make sure you don't go too low......that is good stuff you have sitting there.

Got a call from a big local tree co. today trying to sell their mulch. Buddy of mine is buying by the tractor trailer load from another big co. here pretty cheap. The mulch we use is only the bark, pretty nice looking comes from logging operations.

Surprised that you guys can sell, in aus we have a hard time giving it away. Even the bigger companies that are chipping a few hundred yards a week have a hard time getting rid of it. We give it to councils, schools, parks and landscape supply stores. Nobody will give a dime and often they have to sit on it for a long time before they can sell. They sell cheap. When they're full they wont take any more. Some guys even end up paying to dump.

The only stuff that is worth any money is the manicured mulch - native trees, all chip with no leaf, consistent chip aize and sometimes they die it to make it more uniform in appearance.

I've been looking into whether you can turn it into charcoal and grind it into bricquettes for bbq's or something. In the UK they have wood chip boilers now. You load up a big hopper and they self feed with a coreless auger. You might only have to 'feed' them once a month depending on your hopper size. Great use for this material.

Shaun

Surprised that you guys can sell, in aus we have a hard time giving it away. Even the bigger companies that are chipping a few hundred yards a week have a hard time getting rid of it. We give it to councils, schools, parks and landscape supply stores. Nobody will give a dime and often they have to sit on it for a long time before they can sell. They sell cheap. When they're full they wont take any more. Some guys even end up paying to dump.

The only stuff that is worth any money is the manicured mulch - native trees, all chip with no leaf, consistent chip aize and sometimes they die it to make it more uniform in appearance.

I've been looking into whether you can turn it into charcoal and grind it into bricquettes for bbq's or something. In the UK they have wood chip boilers now. You load up a big hopper and they self feed with a coreless auger. You might only have to 'feed' them once a month depending on your hopper size. Great use for this material.

Shaun

I'd say in our yard right now we have 15000 yards maybe closer to 20 and we will sell all of it this year at about 1000 a semi load (80yd) and we will also sell a lot of what we grind as the season goes on

the biggest tree co in the area, in there yard right now, they have like 3-4 acres of mulch 30-40 feet high and still have mountains of logs probably close to an acres worth 20 feet high they run 40 semi's delivering mulch all day long.

Latest posts

Back