MulchExpressUSA.com (BAD BUSINESS)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LNG24

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to help this guy out and warn others of this company.

Located in New Jersey, This company did wrong by anyone heating with Firewood! Take a look at the Youtub video as to what this one customer received!
object>

Funny that if an Oil Company delivered contaminated oil to a house, there would be major problems. Or if they only delivered 200 gallons, but charged you for 275 gallons, they would face serious penalties by the department of weights and measures. When So Called Firewood Businesses, do this...it is considered part of the business.

Awaiting MulchExpressUSA's response.

Last edited:
i bought a cord from them in january/february this year. this was after i bought a cord of "seasoned" firewood from another vendor that wouldn't burn in an incinerator. was pretty satisfied with it. someone screwed up here.

The department of agriculture regulates fire wood sales and he needs to give them a call.

This guy must not have been home when the firewood was dumped. My clients are usually home and over 50% of my sales are repeat business.

Yes, I told him to contact Weights and Measures.

TIP: That is great that you have a 50% repeat business, now find out why the other 50% is not. I see too many business constantly trying to grow their businesses, while not focusing on repeat business. Even if this means picking up the phone and calling them to see if they need more wood. I have found that many customers that don't repeat with me usually have lost my number. Gather e-mail addresses and send out newsletters, offer Summer Deals one that I saw that was interesting was pay now, get it later. Some people don't have room for 3-4 cords or even a cord of firewood. They pay up front for it and you deliver as they need it. Sure you have to make more trips, but you get the cash months in advance. Just the interest alone you will be generating will offset your additional delivery expenses. Also, make sure your name and phone number is in large print on your trucks. Neighbors will see you always in the area and begin calling you as well.

i bought a cord from them in january/february this year. this was after i bought a cord of "seasoned" firewood from another vendor that wouldn't burn in an incinerator. was pretty satisfied with it. someone screwed up here.

Did you get "fluf" in your delivery? I ask because there is now way you can generate even a yard of "fluf" in a deliver of fire wood. It is my theory that they are putting this "Fluf" into the piles of firewood as a way to get it off site. Saving them thousands of dollar in removal fees.

I am two hours away and they are willing to deliver a cord to me for $165.00! There is no way they would or could afford to do that...unless (see video)

Are you sure you got real hard wood? As far as the other company goes, you should have contacted them. I needed a cord this year and the guy who delivered it was very nice. Average Price. When I stacked it I was short a 1/4 of a cord. I called him and he was appologetic. He said he would make it up on the next load. I went there and picked it up instead. Very Professional, his loaders were just off, but if that stuff didn't burn, I would be telling him to pick it up. If your oil didn't burn, you would not ignore it.

Well, I guess the key there is YOU SELL OUT. No Need for anything else to be said. I do like your EPA Approved idea though!

Funny how some guys Run Out and Others have a surplus. Maybe this industry needs a wholesale list.

Me, I can never make enough money:cheers:

Thats a pretty sorry load of "premium firewood" Maybe they thought he ordered mulch? He ought to be on the phone to Better Business bureau, chamber of commerice, even the Att. Gens. office in NJ. Dealers like that give everyone a bad name.

If THAT was delivered to my house as firewood and they didn't make it right by the next day, I would hire a crew to load it and dump it directly in front of the owners [mulch usa) garage door at his home!

If it were MY crew who delivered that as firewood, they would be looking for a new job!
WTF is wrong with people these days?

someone would be coming back to clean that mess up if it was dumped in my yard. looks like mulch.

How do you get stuff like that anyway?

It's not out of a chipper, what's it out of? Like what machine makes that oversized chip?

That's crap and should easily be fixed with a few calls.

From here what that looks like is bark and small chunks. Contact your local small business association and your local police because thats technically robbery. It also wouldn't hurt to load all of that stuff up once every thing is done into a dump truck and dump it on the guys door step at 2AM :laugh:

i didn't get any "fluff" from the mulchexpress delivery. it was mostly hardwood from what i can remember. and they gave me a little more than a cord. they delivered from mahwah, nj. is this the same guy you are talking about? i think they might be a franchise. i just know it was much better than the garbage i got from the previous guy. i am not a very experienced wood burner as this is only my second year. but i am learning. the first guy i orderd from gave me an extra half cord to make up for the stuff that didn't burn, but this extra did not burn either. i didn't pursue it anymore, just won't ever order from them anymore

I like how, according to them, a cord goes from 128 cf to 80 cf:confused:

MulchExpress TYPE OF WOOD

Actual volume of solid wood in a cord varies from 65 cubic feet for small, crooked sticks, increasing with the size and straightness of the sticks up to about 90 cubic feet.

Average for this region is about 80 cubic feet. The shrinkage in volume between a cord of green wood and a cord of seasoned wood is about 8 percent.

I'll be sure to apply this to my contracting business. Yes Sir, I know your plans called for a deck 20' x 40' but that was when the wood was green. Once it shrinks it is 18 x 36. :laugh:

Another common measure used in selling firewood is the "face cord" (4 feet by 8 feet by 24 inches) (Figure 2) For 24" firewood this would be 2 rows deep. However, depending on your supplier, the length may vary from 16 inches to 24 inches. If the wood is 16" long 1 cord would consist of 3 rows of 16" wood stacked 4' deep X 8' long.

OK follow this Now. Note measurements above as confusing as it may be.

Therefore if you were kneeling down looking at the first row of wood (or the face of the pile) that first row is the "face" cord: 4 x 4 x 16".
How did we just get a 21 cf:confused:

So what is a City or NYC Cord?

Last edited:
Office of Weights and Measures
Tips on Buying Firewood in New Jersey

New Jersey regulations require that except for packaged firewood and whole logs, sellers of firewood are required to sell firewood by using the term "cord" or fractional parts of a cord. A cord is defined to be the amount of firewood which would fill a space of 128 cubic feet, when the firewood pieces are stacked in a compact manner with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other.

It is unlawful for a seller of firewood to advertise or sell firewood by terms such as "face cord," "rack," "pile," "truckload," etc.

If the firewood is sold and delivered to your house, the seller of the firewood is required to give you a serialized delivery ticket or sales invoice containing at least the following information:

A. The legal name and address of the seller;

B. The name and address of the buyer of the firewood;

C. The date the firewood was delivered;

D. The quantity of firewood delivered and the quantity upon which the price is based, if this differs from the delivery quantity;

E. The price of the amount of firewood delivered;

F. The identity of the most descriptive terms commercially practicable, including any quality representation made in connection with the sale (for example, seasoned mixed hardwoods); and

G. The serial number of the delivery ticket or invoice.

Packaged firewood, which is generally sold in hardware stores and supermarkets and contains less than four (4) cubic feet of firewood, must show the net weight of the firewood and the number of pieces of firewood.

To determine if you received the correct amount of firewood, you must stack the firewood pieces at a suitable location so that the pieces are touching and are parallel to each other to form one or more stacks. Then, measure and write down the length, width and height of each of the firewood stacks. By multiplying the length, width and height, you will be able to calculate the total volume of the firewood stacks and compare that to what was represented to you orally or in writing on the delivery ticket or invoice by the firewood seller. If you find that you have been shorted, you can contact the seller to correct the problem. If the seller will not correct the problem, you should call New Jersey Office of Weights and Measures at 732-815-4840. You must not burn any firewood sold and delivered to you in that transaction until the firewood is examined and remeasured by a New Jersey Weights and Measures officer.

Back