Mulching issue from previous owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbgbswanson

hbgbswanson

Hi everyone, what a great resource. I recently have moved into a house where the previous owner didn't follow the best practices when it came to mulching and his trees. Instead of giving a good 6" around the trunk he mulched more like he was builiding a volcano. I know this was a problem and went to clear it away and noticed there is a lot of root growth in this dirt/mulch. My question am I ok to clear this away and trim the exposed roots without damaging the tree? I'm not sure if I have a choice.

Sad thing he was a "landscaper" on the side.....ugh

Thanks.

pmuscato

pmuscato

ArboristSite Operative
Yes, clear away the excess mulch and prune the adventitious roots. Unless the roots are of a large caliper. I'm hoping less then 3/4-1" cal.If the roots are large and spreading it may be best to not cut.

CANUSA

CANUSA

ArboristSite Lurker
Mulch can be a pain in the you know what, but it also serves a good purpose. You're right about leaving some room around the trunk, it helps to prevent fungal growth. You're also right about removing some of the mulch. Too much mulch can inhibit oxygen penetration to the roots, creating an anerobic environment (not good for healthy roots). Rule of thumb states to use no more than 4 inches of mulch, gravel, etc over existing roots. By existing roots, lets assume that means from ground level down, the majority of roots are within the first four inches of soil, you may not see them all due to at this depth they are 'micro-roots', roots specialized for absorption.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
am I ok to clear this away and trim the exposed roots without damaging the tree?
If there are a lot, limit the dose. cut some now, dig and cut some more later.

I just dug out 6" of fill from the base of a 2' dbh black walnut, pruned away some 1/2" roots, then dug down a couple more inches and cut a 1" sgr.

i'll dig more later on, and find the flare eventually.

Latest posts