Must have stood on my 395 to hard today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southside

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
on the southside of the mighty Merced River
I need to figure out how to post pictures so you all can see what I'm talking about.
All that was left of a winter storm downed oak tree was a trunk that was 4 ft.at the base.
My 395 w/36" full skip fresh sharp was grunting, after the first fill up, we noticed at the top of the throttle handle the plastic rubbed against the main body plastic and melted away maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" half moon shaped figure on the body, the throttle handle suffered damage too. New or old problem? Saw ran great otherwise and the trunk is in my wood pile waiting to be spliit. Thanks, Southside

If you were pushing that hard then the chain needed more attention. It shouldn't have a problem with a 36" full skip chain. I'm having a hard time figuring out how it melted right there.

I agree. It would have to be awful hot to melt it way back there,,,, and I don't see how it would ever get that hot. :confused:

We concluded that the chain went bad almost instance after we hit a pocket of dirt/rock that somehow found its way into the the middle of the trunk near the ground, probably a rodent of some kind had a home there at one time.
Not knowing the chain went bad, the operator, thinking he was really hard wood, push so hard that the two plastic pieces touched. The vibration caused the plastic to ground off, or melt do to friction. I'll try and send a picture. Southside

Thats sucks, good way to burn up the saw all around overe heats em. I was gonna say that too didn't know you could stand on a 395 to hard. Thats what they are made for eating big wood!

The tree probably had a little rot in it. I got into the same thing last year in some maples. As soon as the chain got in the dirt in the center, it was instantly dull. I put a full comp chain on it lasted a little longer before it dulled.

If I ever have to do anymore, Ill probably get a big loop of semi chisel full comp.

You may check the springs on the 395. They could be a little wore and letting the 2 parts rub together.

Latest posts

Back