My 6401 to 8401 conversion finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally finished my conversion project. Have had all the parts sitting on the bench for weeks with the saw cleaned up looking longingly. Deer season, holiday visitors, and some warm weather that made it possible to work on skipped projects from summer slowed down the progress. Put the 84cc cylinder on, along with the bigger air filter set up. After it was all said and done it a real monster! A few troubles along the way, but nothing that couldn't be figured out. I always like to torque to specs, and finding a way to get a torx 27 down through the cylinder fins, then a torque wrench on it was interesting. The air filter adapter didn't seem to fit down right, then I figured I was trying to put it around the outside edge, and it goes to the inside edge. I am not thrilled with the wire clip that holds the filter to the rubber gasket. It does not like to stay in the slot in the back while you push it into the front clips. A deeper clip in spot or clip would have been nice. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed, if I hadn't taken it back apart a couple times to make adjustments. I had to take it apart a couple times to adjust the carb.... well I was having trouble getting it in the right hole. :hmm3grin2orange: I kept adjusting the low side, no matter which hole I was putting the screwdriver in. I had to be able to look down and see the actual screw to get it to line up right. Once I got the High side set at 1 1/8th out, all back together and fired it up it was running perfect. It was an aggravating 20 minutes trying to figure out why it was running bad, but it was my own fault not being able to hit the right screw. I just bought a new 24" bar and chain set up and put that on. It happened to be the ONLY log I had handy was a 40" maple so after a few practice cuts I buried it and laid it on hard. Threw chips like a demon and no stalling out at all. Oh what fun!
The only thing I need to do now is remove the engraving from Home Desperate. Can't decide whether to sand it, use a wire wheel, or just slap a sticker on it. I'd like to paint it up to match the black air filter cover. They dug in pretty deep with their engraving so sanding might have to go pretty deep to get rid of it. Some body filler might work better after sanding.
Sorry no pics, but they all look the same.
Now to find a new project to tackle.:chainsawguy:

Sounds like fun! I might convert my 6401, but no real need at the moment...

I bought a set of the new style black Dolmar covers from AS Sponsor Cutting Edge a couple weeks ago.

Has the new style air entry on the rear cover, and the front one takes care of the HD engraving.

I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was under $30 for the pair. I think they mentioned they have 2 more sets in stock...

Also I've seen the gray version on a Makita spare parts web site, but I think the cost was higher.

A few troubles along the way, but nothing that couldn't be figured out. I always like to torque to specs, and finding a way to get a torx 27 down through the cylinder fins, then a torque wrench on it was interesting..:chainsawguy:

Do you remember what the torque specs are off hand i'll be converting mine as soon as it shows up and i like using the torque wrench aswell :cheers:

8.48 lbs on the head and 8.11 on the muffler. At least I got that from Brad and I 'm guessing he knows what is right or one heckuva good guess. He prefers the "twist it with the T handle til it feels good" but my kung fu grip is not as calibrated as well as his so I prefer to get out the wrench. Plus I get to play with the torque wrench, so its a winning situation all around.

Thanks john i'm rather heavy handed so the torque wrench is my friend:givebeer: I'm sure if the specs came from brad they must be good from what i've read the man knows saws and does good work:greenchainsaw:

squish?

I just finished a 64 to 84 conversion as well.Started right up (after I figured out I had the ignition switch in the wrong position)and seems to run good.
I haven't had a chance to tune it yet but the compression is 150 psi.
The thing is the squish is .058".I'm using the recommended gasket from Bailey's which I think was about .020.
This seems excessive to me.I guess I will take out the gasket and was wondering what sort of goop you guys are using as a sealant Thanks,Ron.

How much clean up on ports is needed on the bb kit cylinder or can you bolt it on and go

I just installed an 84 Bailey's top end and resisted doing any work on it at all before installation,just because of the warranty.
It's a little rougher than the OEM setup for sure and could use a little refining.
Runs like a champ as it is,but the squish is .058 both sides.I ordered and used the"you may also want"gasket which was drop shipped from a Dolmar distributor.Its about .020"
I'm gonna widen the ports a little,drop it down a little and make some noodles.
I really have no use for a saw of this size but I,m guessing most off you don't actually need a dozen saw.Heck it's a lot lighter and cheaper than a log splitter.Well that's my rationale and the noodles make for some fine packing material (Christmas coming)and fire starter(with a little diesel garnish)Ron

It was plug and play, no modding to it or anything else required.

Its hard to tell right now how it will run, only two tanks of gas through it so far, and I was hammering on a huge log. Mostly I cut 12-20 incher logs for firewood with all my saws, so it will take a day out on those to see. It feels faster than my 046, and lighter. When it winds up I feel more gyroscopic effect if that make sense.

Back