Newbee needs help with ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaRose3825

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having trouble getting my Stihl 461 to start. I replaced the carborator, filter and lines as well as the spark plug. I was getting spark before but not every time. So I figured I had a short in the wires somewhere. So when I took it apart to replace the impulse line I would also trace the ignition wires. Well, I don't get spark at all now.....I have plugged all (2) wires back to the right plugs snuggly and still nothing. 🙁
Is there a trick of the trade ya'll can give me to test something else......idk
I'm very open to all info./learning 🤓

Thank you all in advance

Hi, I'm having trouble getting my Stihl 461 to start. I replaced the carborator, filter and lines as well as the spark plug. I was getting spark before but not every time. So I figured I had a short in the wires somewhere. So when I took it apart to replace the impulse line I would also trace the ignition wires. Well, I don't get spark at all now.....I have plugged all (2) wires back to the right plugs snuggly and still nothing. 🙁
Is there a trick of the trade ya'll can give me to test something else......idk
I'm very open to all info./learning 🤓

Thank you all in advance
Sounds like you are not afraid to throw money at that saw so you might as well replace the coil. Going by the reported "not always getting spark" symptom that might have been the best place to start.

Also check that you don't have the ignition grounding out the coil.... I've done that once or twice while diagnosing a saw lol

Back