My answer to the Wood Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open fireplaces actually have a negative efficiency rating, meaning they suck heat out of your house rather than creating it. You feel warm immediately in front of the fire, but there is such a massive amount of combustion air being drawn from the house and blasted up the chimney that you are sucking heat from everywhere else.

My fireplace uses outside air for combustion, is surrounded by an air jacket with a fan unit blowing the heat into the room. All fireplaces are not created equal. :givebeer:

insert removal was a bad idea but I give you credit for tinkering around even if it means your way off.
I have a crappy woodstove that I have tried to get to work better and have ended up just selling it and replacing it with a better stove .
In this case a pellet stove..
I did this because I have an outdoor boiler that I use for burning wood and just want somthing to add a bit more heat to a cold room.
I also wanted somthing that my wife could keep going without having to haul big logs .

I am glad to report that I hooked up the Gas Logs on Saturday night and when it was 35 outside and 70 in my house, I turned the gas logs on to the medium setting and in one hour the temp went up to 77. When I was ready to go to bed I simply turned it off and shut the glass doors. Something to keep in mind is we don't have the winter's that the north has. For instance it will be 75 today !!!! Thanks for the help and thoughts.

Kip.

I am glad to report that I hooked up the Gas Logs on Saturday night and when it was 35 outside and 70 in my house, I turned the gas logs on to the medium setting and in one hour the temp went up to 77. When I was ready to go to bed I simply turned it off and shut the glass doors. Something to keep in mind is we don't have the winter's that the north has. For instance it will be 75 today !!!! Thanks for the help and thoughts.

Kip.

Sounds good. I keep telling my wife that if I put in gas logs, sold outright the 10 cords of cut and split oak each year, I could pay for all the LP including the gas logs, and put money in my pocket to boot.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ozc70JPGRMQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ozc70JPGRMQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wow did my cat jump when I turned the sound on for the movie. He was sleeping on my lap. I shouldn't do things like that to him. :)

LOL!!! I see some members here from hearth. I would install a woodstove or get an insert. There are alot better options then gas. Talk about a death trap. Hell find something used thats in your price range. I couldn't afford to heat our home on gas with the temps we keep it at.

Well, before you get carried away I know there is still alot of heat going up the chimney but I made this for about 100 bucks and it works really well. This is the prototype, the next one will have 6 tubes with air flowing through all of the tubes.Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think !!!!

TIA

Kip.

Had one of those when I was a kid. It had six or seven tubes with one across the front for the fan to connect to. We used it for a few years before getting an insert - worked well.

Nikko

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ozc70JPGRMQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ozc70JPGRMQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I don't get it. I was impressed by kippers skills although it seems like it would blow crap into the house. I would think even the real deal ones would do that. I wouldn't turn my back on it for a second or for that matter, turn it on.
One thing I really don't get: why are some of you so angry at kipper?

Latest posts

Back