My favorite type of thread: What's a scored 357 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Decent condition, homeowner use. Plastic clamp killed it, no idea if carb has issues.

I gave $100 for one that needed carb rebuild, p/c was fine..
That wasn't the question. Clearly the saw you bought was worth much more than $100. I sold a really nice 359 for $325. I would think a 357xp in similar condition would fetch around $400, the same way a 346xp is worth way more than a 353.

That seems like a lot for a 359, but maybe I'm way off...local shop has a mint one that I could probably get for $125-150.

A scored saw? Cosmetics would be important but probably $50 to $70 if complete. For the 1127 series Stihls I usually pay $50 for whole but good looking blown up ones. They sell for $350 plus or minus after rebuild. (sold one for $360 and one for $390 in the past week) new bars and chains on both. Sold a couple of Husky 55's during that same period for $175 and $200 both with new bars and chains.

That seems like a lot for a 359, but maybe I'm way off...local shop has a mint one that I could probably get for $125-150.
By "probably" you mean what? And "mint?" I don't throw words like mint and minty around lightly, like many on this forum do, but the 359 I recently sold for $325 was very close to it, and the guy I sold it to got a hell of a saw for that price.

I just don't understand the Stihl-head mentality... A pro-style mag cased 59cc saw (HUSQVARNA) that will cut circles around a plastic cased, ridiculously heavy 1127 series Stihl (the same ones that the previous poster stated he sells in the high $300 range), but is not, according to you, worth $300 (and you, in fact, insinuated was only worth $125-150)?

If you find any more "mint" 357xp or 359 junk saws for $125-150, please forward me the info so I can buy them and double my money on them. Thanks. :rolleyes:

I paid $300 for my very good condition 2yr old, internally flawless 357xp a month ago.

Bar was junk, but it came with case, 4 20" chains, roller husky file guide, two flat bar files, a safe edge flat chain file, two round files, a bottle of husky mix oil (sealed), the tools, manual, and original reciept.

So needing $150 in parts (if replacing with OEM to return it to full value) - how much do you think someone should spend on a carcass?

By "probably" you mean what? And "mint?" I don't throw words like mint and minty around lightly, like many on this forum do, but the 359 I recently sold for $325 was very close to it, and the guy I sold it to got a hell of a saw for that price.

Yes, the saw was mint...and I'm not sure how many definitions you have for "probably" in California, but here it means "presumably", and "in all likelihood".

Regardless, I never stated a 359 wasn't worth $300, just that the price seemed a little high to me. Furthermore, I never insinuated it was worth $125-150, I merely stated that was the price I would have to pay for the local 359....you simply made an assumption based on my post.

It never ceases to amaze me how bothered people get on the internet when someone disagrees with their opinion or comments.

On average, I sell Stihl saws for more $$ than Husky's, nothing to understand, it just is.

$100 for a 357xp with a good top end = a steal!
$100 for a 357XP with a roached top end in decent cosmetic condition, probably average, but I wouldn't pay more unless plastics were very good. I'd feel comfortable around $50-75, no bar/chain included.

Looking at eBay sold listings they are from $250-$550.... all over the place, but A 357xp could bring $400 or so I'd say on average in good working condition, then its all plastics after that.

A 359 should bring around $300 or so. Sold one not long ago for $350, didn't bat an eye and it was a pretty nice saw, OEM jug and slug.

I get $200-250 for Husky 350s all day long and about that for the Husky 55s, maybe $175-$225 on average for them.

OEM parts to return to full value, $300 if it needs a top end and a bunch of small stuff, then sell it for $400... no money in it unless it's staying in my collection.

A minty 359 for $150... where in GA are your from? Asking because your profile page doesn't show it and I'm having a hard time hunting down your dealer.... :)

You should go get that saw!

We ARE trained what to look for because of this forum. Most guys who want a saw know nothing of whats what and how big until they are educated by you or someone else. A big saw brings more money than a little saw and saws that look the same (to the untrained eye) bring nearly the same $$. Guys will pick a Stihl over Husky almost every time unless he's trained and they never want a Poulan unless they're a cheapskate!

That wasn't the question. Clearly the saw you bought was worth much more than $100. I sold a really nice 359 for $325. I would think a 357xp in similar condition would fetch around $400, the same way a 346xp is worth way more than a 353.
Actually, they're worth what you can get for them. The 357 I bought wasn't running and the shop I got it from didn't know what was wrong with it. After examination I noticed the automatic comp. release wasn't working right so I replaced it with a conventional one. I rebuilt the carb because it was the dreaded 199 which I modified. The saw runs very well and has been sold.
I also got a 359 at the same time, not mint but solid, did a few repairs on it and think I'll keep it for myself.

Regardless of the actual quality of a particular saw, used prices trend on what new prices are. Husqvarna saws typically sell for less than the equivalent sized Stihl when new and that spread is maintained for used saws as well. As I've stated elsewhere, Husqvarna cheapened the perception of the the brand when they started allowing anyone to sell their product and you see the name on all sorts of cheapo stuff. This is not to disparage the quality products they sell, but the perception of the general public has shifted. Another example that has gone down this same road is Troybilt. That brand name no longer evokes the "cast iron" tough as nails equipment that it did 20 years ago. It was mass produced and presented to the market at a lower price point and the product is barely a shadow of its former self.
That said, the value of a saw varies if the buyer wants a cutting tool for himself or if they plan to flip it. The typical market price for saws to be flipped is the primary factor in what it's worth in blown up condition. A Poulan can get new fuel lines and cut wood for years. I won't pay over $5 to $8 for a non runner because I sell them for $50.00 in good running condition with a serviced bar and sharpened chain. That's what the market will bear. I'll give more for a Countervibe Poulan because they sell for more. The 1127 series Stihls I'll pay $50 for a blown up one because I can put $150 into it and get $300+ with no problem. So "value" has to be more defined as to what it's worth "to you" and what it's worth "out there in the market". Whether one likes the Stihl brand or think they suck, there's no argument that their value is perceived to be higher by the general public. It may all be marketing, but marketing is what sells stuff.

I'd probably buy too many 359's if I could get mint ones for that price!!!

I paid $150 for one & $200 for another, both had roached top ends, but otherwise nice condition.

This one I just put together is blowing 195 psi,
with a .020" squish, no pop-up and no squish band machining. :D
I pulled the base gasket out of my 359 and it had some serious compression, although I never checked it with my tester... With just a muffler mod that saw was a good runner!

Back