My first nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vapnut257

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My neighbors pitched in and bought me two pecan trees in honor of my beloved Chesapeake Bay Retriever "Ted D. Bear" that died suddenly. I call them my "Teddy Bear" Trees. This year produced my very first pecan (and the only one) from these two trees. I've watched this nut mature all summer and now it looks like it's going to be one fine pecan.

Uhhh...Nice Nut. Can we say that here?:biggrinbounce2:

All kidding aside...thats cool. I wish I had some kind of fruit or nut bearing tree here. Other than the Black Walnuts that dont really put out anything worth shelling.

A nut to be proud of

Kind of reminds me of my first apple tree. On my property we have hard pan clay that sets up like concrete. I chiseled out a little hole, planted the tree, and waited for great things to happen. For several years, nary an apple appeared and the tree was growing very slowly. Finally an apple appeared but alas, before it could mature the tree fell over and died. I've since found a better place to plant my trees.

Had several mature pecan trees at a rental in Tx when I was in the service. I really miss them up here in the north. Making do with Black Walnuts. I planted 7 of them 30 years ago, also tried regular walnuts and while the trees grew (very slowly) I finally pulled them out a few years ago. Tallest one was only about 6 ft and they had never bloomed.

Harry K

Urbicide said:
Nice looking pecan. What are your plans for it?:D
Pecan pie! maybe later. I know it might seem kinda silly, but I just may preserve it and put 'ol Teddy's name on it. He was kinda special.

vapnut257 said:
Pecan pie! maybe later. I know it might seem kinda silly, but I just may preserve it and put 'ol Teddy's name on it. He was kinda special.
Yup..........I think maybe the nut is the dog reincarnated :ices_rofl: Was the dog nuts? I would just save it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

turnkey4099 said:
Had several mature pecan trees at a rental in Tx when I was in the service. I really miss them up here in the north. Making do with Black Walnuts. I planted 7 of them 30 years ago, also tried regular walnuts and while the trees grew (very slowly) I finally pulled them out a few years ago. Tallest one was only about 6 ft and they had never bloomed.

Harry K
So happens that Black walnut, as well as Black cherry trees, need good rich well drained soil to grow well. That's why you rarely see either growing on the side of a mountain let along top of one, they usually only grow naturally on the bottomland where the "good" dirt is. Here in PA, one way you can tell if certain farmland has well developed rich soil is look for naturally growing walnut trees in the meadows or edge of fields. Sure sign that you have good soil. They will often grow other places, but not do well.

You gettin your girls from the funny farm fish?

Hey Casey, those Black Walnuts are good eating. I have a buddy that lets me (begs me) to come pick them up out of his yard (they will kill the grass) and I just dry them for 6-8 months after taking the husks off and their Delicious.

Vap, that sounds like a nice idea you have. A lil memorial to your fallen comrad.

RaisedByWolves said:
You gettin your girls from the funny farm fish?

Hey Casey, those Black Walnuts are good eating. I have a buddy that lets me (begs me) to come pick them up out of his yard (they will kill the grass) and I just dry them for 6-8 months after taking the husks off and their Delicious.

Vap, that sounds like a nice idea you have. A lil memorial to your fallen comrad.

Not these!! Very nasty and hardly enough meat to make all the time invested to get to it worth it.

NOW, maybe if they were in a windrow on a bean or Corn field.....

vapnut257 said:
My neighbors pitched in and bought me two pecan trees in honor of my beloved Chesapeake Bay Retriever "Ted D. Bear" that died suddenly. I call them my "Teddy Bear" Trees. This year produced my very first pecan (and the only one) from these two trees. I've watched this nut mature all summer and now it looks like it's going to be one fine pecan.

Great Job Vap, nothing like seeing something grow and the friendship of an old dog.

so by my estimation you just need to plant 80-160 more trees and you can make yourself one fine pie.

SawBum said:
Great Job Vap, nothing like seeing something grow and the friendship of an old dog.

Well said, Bum. My best childhood memories all seem to revolve around old faithful dogs and pecan (pee-can not puh-kawn) trees in South Carolina.:)

woodshop said:
So happens that Black walnut, as well as Black cherry trees, need good rich well drained soil to grow well. That's why you rarely see either growing on the side of a mountain let along top of one, they usually only grow naturally on the bottomland where the "good" dirt is. Here in PA, one way you can tell if certain farmland has well developed rich soil is look for naturally growing walnut trees in the meadows or edge of fields. Sure sign that you have good soil. They will often grow other places, but not do well.

The Blacks have done very well indeed. I had to remove one of them. It was a classic case of the wrong tree planted in the wrong spot. The English Walnuts were the ones that never did much of anything. Late frosts usually got them just as they were leafing out every spring. Here, I am in the middle of the Palouse, one of the richest areas of farmland in the country with deep top soil (where it hasn't washed away due to poor farming practices).

I did find out that Blacks are very tender and brittle when young. I had one split when about 3 yoa (bandaged it and no sign of the split now), one had the entire top snap off in a wind gust - that one I am still working on training a leader from a branch that sprouted below the break - looking O.K, others have lost branches.

Harry K

Back