My hat's off to you guys up north

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today while I was trying to keep the house warm, keep enough heat in the shop to keep pressure washers and water pumps from freezing, breaking ice out and hauling water to the chickens and other livestock because the automatic waterers are frozen solid, collecting eggs several times a day to keep them from freezing, thinking about the snow storm a couple weeks ago while my 4wd Subaru, 1 ton Chevy and John Deere were all stuck at the same time, having so many clothes on while helping the neighbor cut downed trees out of his farm roads that made me wish I hadn't drank so much coffee (thought that maybe a catheter would be less painful) and the chaps still stayed on, I was thinking about people that live in the northern states that have to do all of this a whole lot more than I do. Makes me try not to complain about it. We've just got spoiled around here with the mild winters over the last 15 years or so with virtually no snow and very mild temperatures.

I'd tip my hat to yall but I'm afraid that if I took it off my ears would instantly freeze and break off like the icicles hanging off of the shop.

Our high temperature today at the house was 19 with 40 mph wind gusts, I know that's nothing compared to what a lot of you deal with but it's about to kill me.

I'm thinking that if anyone wants to send me a Christmas card next year, my address will be Key West. Do they allow chickens, skidders, and chainsaws in Key West?

Got room in Key West for me. It was -29 here in Minnesota this morning-it's now a balmy -18. Most of my eggs froze today-amazing the hens lay at all. Even my loyal yellow lab after 1 trip out to feed the stove this morning made it clear that if I was out today - I was on my own.

I am by no means up north,but we have 12 degrees with 40 mph winds right now,I dont like it one bit.The 12 doesnt bother me,its the wind....

We have a Jack-Rat Terrier he gets so excited when I get the Rubbermaid to go get wood in. He went out this morning (-4°) and ran back to the house before I loaded the container. He would not go back out with me. My daughter is right the dog is smarter than me!

But it sure beats sweating in heat so intense you feel like doing nothing ,black flies,mosquitos and horse flies.
Without a wind, give me cold anyday

Last edited:
Oh, tweet, tell me about cold! The heater blower motor was froze up on the truck when we headed out this morning - almost canceled our outing. Our breath was frosting up the inside of the windshield - tried to lower my window a bit to reduce the frosting but my window was froze in the up position so I lower hubbys window (that lasted about 15 seconds until he put it up!). Luckily the blower eventually loosened up and ran good. Brought home the 2 & 4 yr. old grand-daughters this afternoon when it was 8 above. Made a quick grocery store shop with them & hubby. Got home, hustled the girls inside and let hubby make his own way inside. Grabbed my Otter sled, threw about 8 small bags of groceries in the sled, drug it to the front door then went back out to bring in some firewood and finally came in to thaw out my hands & nose.

Shari

I live in Ohio and it's cold walking out to my Hardy and the woodshed. It's supposed to get around 10 degrees (f) tonight. Ugh.

attachment.php

yes, that's 1.1 above zero...

LCD got flaky with the cold from sitting ther eall night.

that was around 6am sunday morning

midnight i went out to check the owb and it said 0.3F

and it's not where wind can hit it severely....

Today while I was trying to keep the house warm, keep enough heat in the shop to keep pressure washers and water pumps from freezing, breaking ice out and hauling water to the chickens and other livestock because the automatic waterers are frozen solid, collecting eggs several times a day to keep them from freezing, thinking about the snow storm a couple weeks ago while my 4wd Subaru, 1 ton Chevy and John Deere were all stuck at the same time, having so many clothes on while helping the neighbor cut downed trees out of his farm roads that made me wish I hadn't drank so much coffee (thought that maybe a catheter would be less painful) and the chaps still stayed on, I was thinking about people that live in the northern states that have to do all of this a whole lot more than I do. Makes me try not to complain about it. We've just got spoiled around here with the mild winters over the last 15 years or so with virtually no snow and very mild temperatures.

I'd tip my hat to yall but I'm afraid that if I took it off my ears would instantly freeze and break off like the icicles hanging off of the shop.

Our high temperature today at the house was 19 with 40 mph wind gusts, I know that's nothing compared to what a lot of you deal with but it's about to kill me.

I'm thinking that if anyone wants to send me a Christmas card next year, my address will be Key West. Do they allow chickens, skidders, and chainsaws in Key West?

I grew up in Va, most of my family still lives there. Lived on the coast in Sc for a while, then moved here to Mn. Like all places, you just get used to the weather after a while. This mornings temp....

274.jpg

I've seen it colder. Just have to prepare for it. Drain the pressure washer and winterize it in the fall, no need for that come winter. Get some heat tape for the pumps and pipe that you can plug in if it's going to get cold. Dressing in layers is the way to go, but as you mentioned it does make certain tasks a bit more difficult. When I first moved here I was told you can tie a string to your....well, I'll let you figure that one out.....:laugh:

It's all about being prepared, no matter where you live. Stay warm...:cheers:

I grew up in Va, most of my family still lives there. Lived on the coast in Sc for a while, then moved here to Mn. Like all places, you just get used to the weather after a while. This mornings temp....

274.jpg

I've seen it colder. Just have to prepare for it. Drain the pressure washer and winterize it in the fall, no need for that come winter. Get some heat tape for the pumps and pipe that you can plug in if it's going to get cold. Dressing in layers is the way to go, but as you mentioned it does make certain tasks a bit more difficult. When I first moved here I was told you can tie a string to your....well, I'll let you figure that one out.....:laugh:

It's all about being prepared, no matter where you live. Stay warm...:cheers:

Nope, can't winterize the pressure washers and water pumps. I work on heavy equipment and farm equipment and it gets used year round, cutting grease off of places to be welded and blowing mud and manure out of tracks. The water pumps (engine drive) get used year round also for transfering water for livestock, usually out of the creeks. We have to have the creeks fenced off from cattle around here, watershed regulations.

But it sure beats sweating in heat so intense you feel like doing nothing ,black flies,mosquitos and horse flies.
Without a wind, give me cold anyday

:agree2: As to the sweating in intense heat, been there done that.

It's a blistering 28 here now in sunny GA, but it's supposed to be 16 day after tomorrow. Our highs for the week are in the high thirties, then low 40s toward Thursday. Frozen precipitation in these parts is hard to predict, but we have a chance this week. All it will take is just a little drop in the temp.

+1 on the wind comment. 25 mph gusts yesterday while on the tractor all day long. That's a cold job, even in Georgia:)

I had a truck flat fixed in Montana, ($ 50 in early 90's) where they burned a cord of wood a day in the shop. Loaded it with a skip loader. In respect to the conditions, it was a fair price. And they fixed the flat. BUT I about fainted when I saw the bill. Sure was a nice stove.

Out here in San Diego were are having some strange warm weather, it was 80 here yesterday. Supposed to be raining this time of year. oh well. I miss the cold and snow. Soon as I retire ill be back in the mtns again.
stay warm ya'll.

It may be freakin cold outside, but I don't have to deal with snakes and other nasties much.

It's all relative. Once the mercury hits 0, it doesn't really feel any colder after that, ya just get cold a little faster.

Tips for those of ya dealing with colder than normal:

Good boots (I like my Ice Kings http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/id/102785.do) If your feet aren't cold, there's a chance the rest of you won't be.

Gloves: Chopper mitts are best for staying warm, but hard to get work done. I compromise and go with Thinsulate lined leather gloves.

Layers are good. Packers T-shirt, Packer sweatshirt, Carhartt bibs and jacket is about all I need. Silly people across the frozen St Croix river swear purple is a warmer color, but they're wrong...

You're gonna have a bad hair day, deal with it. Put on a nice warm hat and cover those ears. I wear anything from a baseball cap to a full face stocking cap as needed.

Enjoy the cold, it's up to a balmy -10°F here, and I'm gonna go drill some holes in the ice and try and find some fish!

Heck, I just got in from sitting in my deer stand for 3 hours...It was -2° when I went out and it up to 3° now...Would have sat longer but the wife wants to get some stuff done this afternoon...:)

-2 here now, getting ready to go pheasant hunting, last day, should be a good one. got the stove hot and beer and food for afterwards. I'd rather it was warmer, but I've hunted in colder conditions.

fire went out

Kids came over had a real good time. Ate a lot of food and slept till 7am. Fire went out, -22 outside. :cry: Let the retriver out. he most times lays by the house. Lit the fire, went to let him in and he is laying in the sun with his dark coat. If he is so smart why didn't he wake me up when the fire went out. There is a saying. When you want to retire put a snow shovel on your shoulder and walk south. Don't stop tell someone ask you, what is that on your shoulder. :)

Back