My hat's off to you guys up north

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Layers are good. Packers T-shirt, Packer sweatshirt, Carhartt bibs and jacket is about all I need. Silly people across the frozen St Croix river swear purple is a warmer color, but they're wrong...

Is #4 green or #4 purple warmer or colder? Inquiring minds want to know.... :popcorn:

Shari

Is #4 green or #4 purple warmer or colder? Inquiring minds want to know.... :popcorn:

Shari

Currently sporting a green #50. Purple #4 jerseys seem to be very hot early in the year, but not nearly warm enough for December. I predict it will still be warm in hell in February, one of my favorite t-shirts shows the devil shivering saying "I don't know, maybe the Vikings won the Super Bowl"

-8 this morning. We had a few chickens frees every year. now there all gone.

Gets Old

When I was a kid I thought nothing of winter. Played in it and had all kinds of fun. Got a little older and cut wood, rabbit,fox and coyote hunted all winter. Now? Still doing same crap (a lot slower) and getting really tired of it. Can't wait to retire and head south for the whole month of Feb.

Went out to the river this weekend and stayed in the camper the last 2 nights -12 last night and -10 the night before, I would say that's pushing the old camper heater to the max, but it stayed around 70 inside. We had the Warm Morning going in the shed but the best I could do was 50, not bad for a 24 x 30 metal shed with no insulation. We didn't do much but sit around the wood burner telling a few lies and drinking a few beers. We did manage to go on a couple four wheeler rides but man was it cold.

It was about +5 when another AS member and I were in the woods a few days ago and he being a softie was not happy about the cold. I have cut many times before in these conditions and once a person gets going it is fine.

He was puzzled as to why I brought by go-devel splitter up to the clearing and I showed him how easy red oak splits when it is that temperature. Plink, plink, plink it was like splitting 3/4" pine boards and these were ~16" oak rounds. The blocks also sounded like hunks of glass. If it weren't for my crushed saw and the family wanting to go to a movie with me today, I would probably be up in that clearning splitting wood and moving brush. It is -13 right now at the house. :)

I guess I will go out and work on my kid's ice rink for an hour or two just to cool off. It needs another inch or two of fresh ice and it goes down well in this weather. :clap:

I was in ritchmond fore a year and i dont think i wore a coat all winter. febuary was tee shirt weather. summer sucked! was working constructon in the sun, that wasnt fun. would like to now how mutch weight i swetted off.

Junk,
This old yankee gives you his regards. I would like to also get a place in the Florida keys: keep a boat on the dock and an alligator under the porch. I ran the Kubota twice trying to keep up with the unending snow today. On a cold day, we only have to watch the animals and see how they handle the cold weather.

I can deal with just plain cold down to about 0 degrees pretty well, anything below that all feels about the same. There are very few things that push me up to the edge of being pushed over the edge and one of them is the wind. Three days of temperatures in the teens with 40 mph winds and I'm about to step over. Now the heat in the truck decides to go out. The blend door motor that regulates the temperature went out and it's stuck on cold. I really don't feel like pulling the dash out during this time of the year. Maybe I'll just set a fire barrel in the passenger floor untill spring :).

I was talking to my brother in upstate NY and he said he has gotten 37" of snow in the last 27 hours. Yet, he is so crazy that he wants to come out to MN to feel temps where the mercury never gets above zero for the daily high. He wants to come out here at the peak of the cold and rent a resort fish house on Mille Lacs lake. He was bummed he is not out here now to feel the pain. :dizzy:

I'm thinking that if anyone wants to send me a Christmas card next year, my address will be Key West. Do they allow chickens, skidders, and chainsaws in Key West?

:monkey: No on the chainsaws,chickens and skidders but I bet there are some folks down there that'll love to see you parading around on the beach in your chaps.

Ya take the good with the bad I guess. Had the bateries die in my truck last sunday in -20.

On the other hand I can't take the heat. Any thing over 75-80 and I'm dieing. The cold I can deal with.

Ya take the good with the bad I guess. Had the bateries die in my truck last sunday in -20.

On the other hand I can't take the heat. Any thing over 75-80 and I'm dieing. The cold I can deal with.

Bummer! If you haven't replaced them yet, scrape up 4 large or so and get you a pair of Optimas and quit having to worry about when them $%^^& batteries are gonna quit on you. O'reilly in New Richmond is where I got the last one I bought.

Car cranked a bit slow this AM at -15, but fired right off. Still got the factory Delco battery yet, I should probably take my own advice before it pukes.

I dont know how you guys do it, I really dont.Its 20 degrees here,and I feel like a block of ice.I have a job to do on Thursday, and I am seriously thinking about postponing it until next week when the temps are supposed to go back to 40 or so.I dont really have the proper gear for real cold,bulky jackets and climbing gear just dont mix real well.
How you guys deal with sub zero temps and still get any cutting done is beyond me.Ill take those 90 degree summer days any day.

-20° out now. No I don't like it but you just have to live with it. I have 2 - 75 watt light bulbs on the water pipe in my shop surrounded by fiberglass insulation and card board so the water don't freeze. You wear a full face mask when you head outside.

Latest posts

Back