My Hawthornes are sick!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haoleboy99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
They were looking bad last year and this year is bad. What can I do to save them?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:greenchainsaw: Don't want to do this

I couldn't get your pictures to come up. :confused:

Can you try again? And what are their symptoms? Hawthornes are in the Rosaceae family and so are subject to a myriad of diseases, unfortunately.

Sylvia

You are in Kansas, and that means that you will mostly suffer from cedar-hawthorn (or cedar-quince) rust. Look for lots of thickened, scaly spots on the twigs that are dead or dying. That is a good clue.

You will usually see these spot proliferating with fungal growth sometime in the late spring, then the branches die off later.

Preventative fungicidal treatments done earlier in the spring can help. No long term solution available, but some varieties are more sensitive than others. Some years back I had a customer with a really neat variety of hawthorn, a very elegant landscape tree. They had fewer crossing branches, and grew naturally into globe shaped tree. No pruning needed.

They all got wiped out in one year because of cedar-quince rust. The less sensitive washington hawthorns in the area were not affected at all.

thanks

attachment.php
attachment.php

I guess now that I've done some internet searches I have RUST. The neighbor has the cedars and I've noticed the signs on them but never read up on what they were. What is a good treatment? Spray what in the spring, can I kill it on the cedars?

I'll try the photo one more time, they showed up on the preview but not after the post??????

The neighbor's cedars may not be at fault. "Within miles" is good enough for infection. There is no treatment practical at this stage in the disease.

I imagine that only a plant pathologist could ID whether that is cedar-quince or cedar-hawthorn rust, possibly something else, too.

Try treating next spring with Agri-phos in a bark treatment in early spring. It's supposed to work, but I never trust the "supposed to" scenarios, and I have not tried it myself.

Back