My homelite siezed up twice today :( What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you might remember my post about my homelite EZ automatic cutting out at WOT like it was running out of fuel. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel line and filter, and tried adjusting it to get it right.
It was later decided that the arm on the needle valve was probably maladjusted. I adjusted it today and it fixed the problem. My saw was running good, rich enough to get a light haze at WOT and was eating up a split off 26" thick chunk of walnut trunk that I was cutting into logs when it began to cut off on me again. It died, I pulled the cord a couple times, then it froze up. i was able to break it free again with some ATF in the cyl. and a screwdriver across the flywheel but it locked up again while it was running so I gave up. The piston it what froze, bearings are fine.

I figure either the cyl got warped from overheating before I figured the problem out, or the oil mix wasn't enough. 25:1 is fine for this saw, right?
Where do i find a new jug and piston? Thanks, phillip

ozflea said:
Sounds to me it was running a little too lean. And now it might be knackered.

Mc Bob.

It was running lean before yesterday. Yesterday I had it running a little rich. Low screw was out 1 1/4turns and high screw was out 1 3/4turns just to see if the fuel would keep up.

So 25:1 mix should have been fine right??? -Phillip

Oil Fuel Mix

EZ's used a 16:1 Mix ratio. On the cap it says to mix 1/2 pint of oil with 1 gal of gas. Getting ready to work on my grandfathers old saw. Few years back we put in electronic module and I was never happy with it. Going back to points.

Geez 25:1 with good oil and gas should provide good lubrication with darn near anything. I think you have an air leak somewhere.

Back