My next project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is a siberian elm.

It 's a removal in a backyard with no desent access due to a retaining wall, fence and shrubs.

Another picture I was looked like the front yard is a good LZ for a crane, thought the driveway is a bit worse for ware.

Estimated distance from center pin to farthest pick is 70 feet, tree 60 feet tall with about 36in dbh. With the deadwood maybe 8-9 picks.

He said that several other companies in the area have walked away from estimating.

He's going to talk to the owner on some numbers we talked about and a crane company to see if it is worth it for me and a buddy to drive 9 hours each way;) :D

Cost will depend on the crane of course, I want to be able to do 3000-5000# per pic .

It should be fun if it happens.

I vote for Siberian Elm too. That's a good price for a tree like that, looks pretty straight forward except getting rid of everything.

Looks like elm to me, sad to say but i'v seen alot of trees in this area in the same condition as that one. Most people just dont have the money or they dont want to spend it on good tree care.

Or you could get a crew of trained woodpeckers to whack that thing apart in a few months. They may not be quick, but they work cheap!

I'd have said trained squirrels or monkeys, but we already have enough of them here.

:D

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
disinfection followed by inoculation of soil around the flare with mycorhizal fungi may help.

Isn't mycorhizal fungi supposed to form a symbiotic relationship with the roots to help the tree suck up nutrients? ....or is there something else going on there in addition?

What's the anti-freeze for, to kill the fungus causing the rot?

Originally posted by ORclimber
Isn't mycorhizal fungi supposed to form a symbiotic relationship with the roots to help the tree suck up nutrients?

Exactly.

What an original suggestion, Guy!

:D

Originally posted by netree
What an original suggestion, Guy!
It's just common sense--knock back the bad fungus and bring in the good fungus to compete with it--backed well by good science.

But that's not enough for some--when that technique was submitted in an article to an unnamed mag, the reviewers tore into it, chanting their "No data, No do!" mantra. When it went into a state newsletter the UF of a large city said it wouldn't be doen on his city's trees unless there was scientific proof it worked(I'm still working on him.)

So anyway, Nebclimber's thinking of removing that tree. Ho Hum.
I'd be with mb and rig the limbs down, then block the spar down. A nightmare to estimate--I see why the others walked off. Without a crane you're making very loose guesses which may lead to disastrous results if it's a fixed bid. Warning, Will Robinson!

Why not think of preserving it? What's its history, why is it deemed not worth keeping, what options have you looked at? I know the species is not the best, but in my book it's not a removal until an informed decision is made. (The owner's blind fear is not good information.)

If I had to remove it, I'd first look at the owner's ins policy, and check the roofs for damage--even slight--and help him file a claim.
Failing that, I'd sub a crane and a good climber and work as second climber or groundie and see how it's done.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Most people will either not listen to you or will give you the bobblehead nod as you try to plead the tree's case. Most people just plain do not care about trees or shade and think of trees as giant weeds.
Brian you are definitely hanging out with the wrong kind of people. I may be discouraged as you if I had to deal with folks like that all the time.:( (Your post reminds me of a former arborist of our acquaintance who first went from seeing himself a nothing but a cutter, then became an aerial thug.)

Fortunately, when folks call an arborist, that proves they value trees. I'm shedding old clients who call me because I did a removal cheap in the past. It's sad in a way to say good bye to someone who was like a friend, but would be sadder yet to abuse your talent and put aside your appreciation for trees just to make a buck.

A house divided cannot stand, the book says, so a person who divides himself may tend to crack up too.

Who's the client?

It often comes down to "who's your client?" and what's really driving them.
Tree preservation is lovely, but if the tree's either a significant hazard or the one's paying you are losing sleep over it, in my book, it's a take down. I don't view it as my job to inject much of my prejudice into their decision unless directly requested to do so.
Price is another issue altogether.

Judging solely on what I can see in the picture, it isn't necessarily a lost cause yet. You'd be amazed what some TLC and PHC can do. The bigger question is whether or not the customer would spend the money to keep it or not.

I've seen alot worse make it. Bear in mind trees act as free sources of shade in the summer, windbreak in the winter, and as nature's retaining walls on slopes.

My next step would have to be a thorough inspection from the ground up, and assess what issues would need to be addressed to keep any hazard to a resaonably acceptable level.

Originally posted by netree
Judging solely on what I can see in the picture, it isn't necessarily a lost cause yet. Bear in mind trees act as nature's retaining walls on slopes.
Right on. The slope in that picture is severe--what will the landowner do to hold the slope when the tree's gone? Retaining walls are very expensive.

"I don't view it as my job to inject much of my prejudice into their decision."
I don't either. I DO view it as my responsibility to inject what information I have about all the ramifications of their decision--which in this case may include mudslides.
If I don't share information I have I'm guilty of negligence or worse.

" Siberian elm tends to canker and decay easily. That one seems past it's safe & useful life."
Hard to judge from the picture. Callusing on older cuts looks fairly good. Growth from topped ends seems like it could be thinned with acceptable results. Did not see any canker in the picture--did you? And how do you factor canker in a risk assessment? Not all canker is reason for removal, is it?

When you look at the topping cuts,houses around the tree ,
the closeness of the fence and stone wall . This is a Hazard Tree and should be removed.
All the fertilizer,trimming,cableing and tree lover instincts cannot change those facts.

If the tree was in a field let it be , but it's not.

Find a new tree.:confused:

Originally posted by coffeecraver
This is a Hazard Tree and should be removed.
Here we are 1000 miles away, pronouncing this tree a Hazard? Do all topping cuts result in unmitigable Hazard? Not!

The owners are about to blow $1000's to remove a tree that hasn't been professionally assessed, and spend more later on erosion control, air conditioning, etc. They need an opinion that is based on close observation and evaluation.

An aerial inspection is needed to assess posible decay from topping cuts, and other potential problems. An earth-bound consultant is at a big disadvantage. If the evaluator cannot climb, then an observant climber has to be hired.

Based on size and species this tree may be near the end of its useful life. The question is, how near? Will 100's spent now buy many years before the $1000's need to be spent on removal?
Without the data, an informed decision cannot be made.

All this is moot. The trees coming down.
news-n-coffee.gif

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
All this is moot. The trees coming down. [/B][/QUOTE]
If true, what a relief, eh? Now this can be another happytalk thread!
Fire up the machines, boys, it's time to go play mortician!:blob2:
Another one bites the dust of dumbness.

If the tree's gotta go, it's gotta go.

If it's quite savable, and they'd still like it gone, it goes.

But the homeowner deserves to know all their options, and that can only be determined with an analysis.

I still say I've seen worse make it.

Where does the homeowner stand? Would they like to keep it if it's possible? Do they want it gone regardless?

Latest posts

Back