My next victim…

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don’t really have a plan in mind nor a specific idea of what i am going to do with the slabs when i am done, but this is too cool to burn I expect lots of tap holes, we tapped it for 30 years and presumably several before that. The neighbor had it taken down after a leader fell on his house. Its 38” at the butt, and 64”at the widest.

Attachments

• 70CC421A-46B4-4A95-80F7-99D8416918D6.jpeg
    70CC421A-46B4-4A95-80F7-99D8416918D6.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 54B56F28-C05C-4839-A1E1-84C7EBCDC806.jpeg
    54B56F28-C05C-4839-A1E1-84C7EBCDC806.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • A62A399B-F2DB-46B3-A4C7-4A535C32901B.jpeg
    A62A399B-F2DB-46B3-A4C7-4A535C32901B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 769014D8-4492-473B-9EF9-B1C66081333E.jpeg
    769014D8-4492-473B-9EF9-B1C66081333E.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I bet you could get a nice table and a bar top out of it at least. It will be really cool to see the inside.

I take it you make maple syrup? I prefer (what used to be called) grade B, but I want to try darker.

I bet you could get a nice table and a bar top out of it at least. It will be really cool to see the inside.

I take it you make maple syrup? I prefer (what used to be called) grade B, but I want to try darker.
Yes, we make syrup. My double bar is 60 something inches, I honestly don’t remember exactly how long without looking, i just bought a single 54” and i have a 4’ Granberg mill. I am contemplating using the mill on the butt log and a chalk line and freehand the rest. If i went 10/4 it should allow formsome deviation and still get a reasonable, flattenable slab. Either that or separate the fork off and freehand that with the help of a laser . I would have to mark it in the evening, I wouldn’t be able to see the laser that well in the daylight.

You ever cook or try darker than grade B?

With the 48" max you will get is 46, as long as the bar supports it. That's the problem I'm running into right now myself. I need a longer bar and mill. But that's another story.

What about taking of the horizontal parts of the mill, making spacers and mounting a board across the 2 upright posts? That would give you unlimited length and probably be more accurate than free hand.

Or if one side is better than the other what about taking off the edge of one of the forks.
That would also keep the slab closer to "straight" vs a considerable difference in width.
I've never tried freehand; I've seen some videos but I don't really trust it.
But, it is your decision, not mine. :p

Yes, we make syrup. My double bar is 60 something inches, I honestly don’t remember exactly how long without looking, i just bought a single 54” and i have a 4’ Granberg mill. I am contemplating using the mill on the butt log and a chalk line and freehand the rest. If i went 10/4 it should allow formsome deviation and still get a reasonable, flattenable slab. Either that or separate the fork off and freehand that with the help of a laser . I would have to mark it in the evening, I wouldn’t be able to see the laser that well in the daylight.
What are you using to plane the slabs?

You ever cook or try darker than grade B?

With the 48" max you will get is 46, as long as the bar supports it. That's the problem I'm running into right now myself. I need a longer bar and mill. But that's another story.

What about taking of the horizontal parts of the mill, making spacers and mounting a board across the 2 upright posts? That would give you unlimited length and probably be more accurate than free hand.

Or if one side is better than the other what about taking off the edge of one of the forks.
That would also keep the slab closer to "straight" vs a considerable difference in width.
I've never tried freehand; I've seen some videos but I don't really trust it.
But, it is your decision, not mine. :p
No, if we get dark we only get a couple gallons, as for commercial grade its not valuable enough to warrant the work, oursnisna hobby operation with commercial size, wood fired equipment. One day i hope to build a new sugar house with a 2x6 evaporator and a mini R.O.
I could do a wooden mill, hadn't thought of it. Might be a great idea.

Latest posts

Back