My poor Apple trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckgerl

Reaction score
I live way up North in Alberta Canada. Upon Buying our new home we were given 3 apple trees as a house warming gift. My hope was when my children graduate in 12 yrs that we will have family pictures by our blossoming apple trees. we have planted all three in our front yard of our acreage. there is approx. 25 feet between each tree. I conditioned our soil before planting because our soil is so sandy. Now for my problem this is year 3 and though they have all grown they seem to be in all differents stages. One is probably 3 feet bigger then when planted while the other 2 have barely grown in height at all. My biggest concern is my middle tree something is terribly wrong with it. The leaves grow out but immediatly turn dark brown on the edges and dry up and curl up, this is for the whole tree. If anyone out there could plz help me I am at a loss and I certainly dont want to loose these trees. Thanks :confused:

Apple Trees

What part of Alberta?

I recall that when I lived in Edmonton that the climate was pretty hard on flowering bushes and trees unless they were a really hardy variety.

Do you know what variety of trees you were given?

I am not sure???

I live by Lloydminster, and I am not sure about the varieties of apple trees I have but the were purchased from a place in Manitoba. I was told that they are for our area and would be very harty here. I have baby'd them along but I am concerned about this one with the leaves that curl and turn brown. Any ideas would be great.

fire bligt or blite? is a problem down here in cinti, but that would
affect all of them so Im venturing to say you have water troubles either to much (that tree is sitting in a water hole w/pour drainage) or it's not getting enough, It sounds like to much to me
Pull on the trunk and check the root zone for establishment compared to the others if the tree moves easily back and forth then you definitely have a root problem. if this is the case try replanting the tree starting with making sure your planting hole is'nt glazed on the sides and then invite the roots out of their circling mess by using your hand to pull them out (its a good idea to make small trenches for them to take off in) ammending the soil a bit wont hurt the tree either using a compost matter or peat moss or fish emulsion then make sure the top of the root ball is 1/4 above the ground level and put 2-4" thick mulch ring preferrably a good decomposing mulch not the asthetic crusting kind that landscapers tend to favor and from there just make sure you give it adaquate water every day to the point of run off and it should be fine.

If your trees have fireblight , then you would be loosing whole branch tips and not just the leaves. It could be some frost damage to the new leaves , but your trees should be hardy enough to come through that. Apple trees need alot of fungicide and insecticide sprays if you want very good apples. It could be apple scab on the leaves as well. If you are really trying to get good fruit then treat the apple trees with a apple tree spray mix starting at bud swell and then every 2 weeks for 4 more times then treat once a month until september will be the last spray.

Back