My tree is very sick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerlylocks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am posting to see if I can get some help for my ailing tree. I have just returned home from a very lengthy trip to find my 70 foot tall Maple in dire need of help. The leaves are crumpling still on the tree, some brown spots, and the leaves are yellowing. The bark on the tree is peeling, and has two different colors of some sort of fungus on the bark: a light green and slightly darker shade. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to help my tree? What kind of spray I need?

I would offer to say it may sound like a wilt. Verticillum wilt most likely. If you can reach a low branch that is effected cut off the tip to expose a cross section of the inner wood to see if there are any dark stains. This indicated a vascular problem.

You may need to seek an onsite inspection from an arborist.

Thanks

I appreciate the quick reply. The reason I have decided to search online is that my search for an arborist here where I live has been futile. Is there anything I can do to start any kind of treatment prior to finding someone to come out and help me treat it? I was able to break off a small twig and did not see any spots, but I am going to get a tree trimmer so I can reach a larger branch than the one I looked at. Can you recommend a spray or root treatment to get me started? :confused:

After cutting some branches

It appears as though some of the inside is slightly discolored from the outside to the inside. Not throughout, but the edges on some.... a little more graying on one side and none on the other. Not spots, but a fade from the outside about 1/4 way through, darker on the outer edge, lighter on the inner... And then no discoloration on the other side. It is hard to describe, but I hope this helps.

The fungus sounds like lichen, a symbiosis of algea and a fungus. This is benign.

How has the water situation been for the past few months? I've seen many maple give up on a season from drought. Are the buds green, do the twigs bend or break (can you rach any?).

Water situation

We have been in a drought situation for the past year. I have been watering the area near the base of the tree for 2 hours every 2 days for the past month... and for 2 hours every 4 days for the month prior to that. The brances/twigs do kind of wilt downward, but they have been that way for a long time, so I thought it was the kind of Maple I had. There is a large branch out of reach that has totally died out. If you think this is a water issue should I get one of those stakes that puts the water under ground? What should I do for the fungus?

Last edited:
Get someone to lok at it, a good soaking once a week in dry windy conditions should have been sufficient. I fthe water is not able to drain away the roots can drown.

Too much water can look similar to too little.

Tree references?

There is definitely no drainage problem around the base. I am curious if the roots are exposed too much, could this cause a problem for water absorption. Over the past couple years the roots have become more exposed due to some erosion of soil...... If anyone knows an arborist in The Atlanta area, please recommend. In my phone book (Roswell/Alpharetta), every listing under arborist is for a tree removal company. Is there a listing online somewhere? Is there a site I could go to to identify some leaves from unknown trees? I am trying to identiry 2 trees which seem to keep popping up in my yard. I have many tree books, but none that can help me identify these. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back