My Weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wismer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here I am tearing into a fair sized maple.

Picture 1 is the whole log

Then in picture two we have taken slabs off both sides and are attaching the dogs to hold the log in place.

Picture 3, I;m taking the 3rd slab off.

Picture 4 is my dad having a go, with my brother onlooking. At this point he's slabbing off some boards.

Picture 5 is the finished product, might make some flooring?

We'll have to see how it turns out because at this point it's still practise.

Thanks guys,

Craig

I want a lumbermate... just need some space. Nicr pics, thanks for posting. Was that log a bit old already? Did it make the milling go any harder?

I took that log this winter, it was living, but the crown had died, logic says it would of started decaying a bit, so to answer your question yes it was probably a bit old.

ps.. I would HIGHLY recommend the lumbermate, I have had it for a couple weeks, milled five logs so far and i'm HOOKED

It's fairly easy to put together, and putting it together gives you a better respect and understanding of the machine, and it works like a charm.

(I'm in highschool, I have no fabrication or machine shop experience except from living on a farm, If i can figure out how to put it together I should think just about anybody can.)

Craig

oops sorry woodshop to answer your second question I don't think it made cutting too much harder, but the blade was getting dull so that made it a bit slower.

Tell you what Woodshop: I have all the space you need for a Lumbermate, you just buy one and we can put it down here and you are welcome to come down anytime and use it. It only like a 2 hour drive. I may even throw in some logs for you to cut. Seriously, I would like to see you operation sometime, if you would like a big old beech, holly, red or white oak, maple or if you want to work up a big sycomore, I know where there is one on the ground waiting for someone to cut up .

Andre,

I would love to have an abundance of pine so I can mill some building material. Around here there is only the odd one. At the cottage I have lots, but the 4.5 hour trip makes it kind of a lost cause.

Tell you what Woodshop: I have all the space you need for a Lumbermate, you just buy one and we can put it down here and you are welcome to come down anytime and use it. It only like a 2 hour drive. I may even throw in some logs for you to cut. Seriously, I would like to see you operation sometime, if you would like a big old beech, holly, red or white oak, maple or if you want to work up a big sycomore, I know where there is one on the ground waiting for someone to cut up .

I appreciate that Imbeachy... actually l currently have more logs stacked various places as we speak than I will have time to mill the rest of this year. As for the space, my Dad has a small farm about 90 minutes away I could put a bandmill. I currently have too many irons in the fire though to be having to spend 3-4 hours driving just to get to my mill. I need it close enough that I can use it on weeknights after work for example. Say like a 30 minute drive at most. Plus... it costs me roughly $15 every hour I'm on the road with my van, so that 3-4 hour ride is $50-60. A lot of cash every time I wanted to use my mill.

However, I do appreciate the offer. As for seeing my csm/Ripsaw milling operation, you are welcome to come up any weekend I'm milling.

a little backround

Excuse me if I am prying, but.:cry:
It seems by your post that Dad is helping "you" with "your" mill, not you helping Dad with his mill. If this is true maybe we could get some background as to where the inspiration comes for a kid in high school to become a sawyer? :dizzy:
What ever the case keep up the good work, kid, looks great!:cheers:
Oh, sorry, your not old enough for that yet. :cheers: :)

Excuse me if I am prying, but.:cry:
It seems by your post that Dad is helping "you" with "your" mill, not you helping Dad with his mill. If this is true maybe we could get some background as to where the inspiration comes for a kid in high school to become a sawyer? :dizzy:
What ever the case keep up the good work, kid, looks great!:cheers:
Oh, sorry, your not old enough for that yet. :cheers: :)

Well adrpk..... I don't really know.. A little over a year ago i took the skidder/feller safety/certification course since we live on a farm and have a cottage up north on 200 acres of woodlot, so operating a chainsaw was kind of a given. I haven't looked back since then. I am in up to my ears and I love it. like I said, I don't really know why I like it so much but everything from felling to milling interests me. I have always liked to operate machinery be it tractors cars atvs etc, so I guess a sawmill is just one more step? I also like fabricating stuff and woodworking, and I think its incredible to fell the tree, mill it, and build something out of it all by yourself, It's nearly impossible to find someone who can claim that these days.

My dad was the one who first looked into the Lumbermate. We plan to use it for milling everything from trim to the house to building materials for the camp up north (it's very remote, we have to drive 4.5 hours north to an outfitter, load the atv's and luggage onto the pontoon boat cross the river then 5 km's in on logging trails. No electricity or running water.)

So anyways, It'll be a real neat experience.... one which personally i think too many kids nowadays miss out on.

aaand that's my story, Craig

We plan to use it for milling everything from trim to the house to building materials for the camp up north (it's very remote, we have to drive 4.5 hours north to an outfitter, load the atv's and luggage onto the pontoon boat cross the river then 5 km's in on logging trails. No electricity or running water.)

I assume you are saying that you will mill up the material at your house and transport the milled wood to the camp? Would you be able to transport the Lumbermate to the camp if you had a large project? I assume the boat and ATV would be limiting factors of getting it there. It looks like you have the felling and milling down. I hope the drying goes as well!

I sure wish I had something like that when I was growing up. I had other hobbies that I still do today, but yours is one I would have liked to do.

Here is those picture again, but now you don't have to download them, a few more too.

We loaded the log on the mill
100_3678-1.jpg

Here we have taken off to sides and are clamping the log on to take off a third side
100_3684.jpg

Making a pass
100_3685.jpg

ending that pass, nice stack of logs in the background (I have 20 cut logs left to mill)
100_3690.jpg

Dad's having a go
100_3693.jpg

He's giving some instructions to my two younger brothers
100_3696.jpg

My youngest brother is having a go, not many boards left now
100_3697.jpg

The end result
100_3692.jpg

Hope you enjoy em

Craig

I assume you are saying that you will mill up the material at your house and transport the milled wood to the camp? Would you be able to transport the Lumbermate to the camp if you had a large project? I assume the boat and ATV would be limiting factors of getting it there. It looks like you have the felling and milling down. I hope the drying goes as well!

I sure wish I had something like that when I was growing up. I had other hobbies that I still do today, but yours is one I would have liked to do.

No sir, We plan to take the mill to the camp. Last year in the fall we did some renovations upstairs and it was such a pain to bring all the stuff in. It's not too forgiving of a trail either, it's not bad... but driving back and forth 100 times takes a toll.... on you, the quads and the trail. The camp is an 80+ yr old farmhouse built when the government was giving away land to settle the north, all you had to do was farm it for 5 years. So, it needs some improvements.

Craig

No sir, We plan to take the mill to the camp. Last year in the fall we did some renovations upstairs and it was such a pain to bring all the stuff in. It's not too forgiving of a trail either, it's not bad... but driving back and forth 100 times takes a toll.... on you, the quads and the trail. The camp is an 80+ yr old farmhouse built when the government was giving away land to settle the north, all you had to do was farm it for 5 years. So, it needs some improvements.

Craig

That is great that you can "pack" it to the camp. Especially if you have raw material there to work with. Post some pics of milled, dried and installed lumber if you get a chance. It could be a great inspiration to those that are doing it, and those that are wannabe's like me :).

Well adrpk..... I don't really know.. A little over a year ago i took the skidder/feller safety/certification course since we live on a farm and have a cottage up north on 200 acres of woodlot, so operating a chainsaw was kind of a given. I haven't looked back since then. I am in up to my ears and I love it. like I said, I don't really know why I like it so much but everything from felling to milling interests me. I have always liked to operate machinery be it tractors cars atvs etc, so I guess a sawmill is just one more step? I also like fabricating stuff and woodworking, and I think its incredible to fell the tree, mill it, and build something out of it all by yourself, It's nearly impossible to find someone who can claim that these days.

My dad was the one who first looked into the Lumbermate. We plan to use it for milling everything from trim to the house to building materials for the camp up north (it's very remote, we have to drive 4.5 hours north to an outfitter, load the atv's and luggage onto the pontoon boat cross the river then 5 km's in on logging trails. No electricity or running water.)

So anyways, It'll be a real neat experience.... one which personally i think too many kids nowadays miss out on.

aaand that's my story, Craig

Well, good luck Wismer, you've set a good course. By the time your my age (51) you'll be living in a city of boards.:biggrinbounce2:

I also have a woodlot that inspired me to buy a csm. Can't stand to let good wood go to waste.

Back