My wife milling white pine with my Dolmar 7900. :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I kind of thought that from what I have read...now I just need to convince the wife

That's the spirit!!! :D

I do all my milling with a ported 7900, and even then some of that big hardwood is slow goin' for sure. Idealy you'd want to mill with 80cc's plus but a 70cc saw will do it as long as it's limits aren't being pushed to the end.

Your 361 is too small. You could try it, but it would be detrimental to the life of the saw. Milling is tough on a saw - you'd need at minimum a 70cc saw, ie a 440 or a 372xp.

Don't let one of my customers hear that. Last summer he built a 14x20 shed all milled with a 254 Husky. Tried to talk him into a 70cc saw, he thought I was nuts. Said the 254 worked fine.

Don't let one of my customers hear that. Last summer he built a 14x20 shed all milled with a 254 Husky. Tried to talk him into a 70cc saw, he thought I was nuts. Said the 254 worked fine.

That's awesome. By no means was I trying to say the it's completely impossible to mill with a 60cc saw, just incase that's what one may have infered. :)

If the logs are small enough one could mill for a lifetime with a 361 - the logs would just have to be REAL small. I mill 2x4's with my MS211 coupled with the Beam Machine all the time. But the kind of milling going on in the video, I'm thinking one could burn up a 361 rather quickly. :)

But the kind of milling going on in the video, I'm thinking one could burn up a 361 rather quickly. :)
???? It looks like your wife is milling white pine. A 361 would handle that just fine, just don't push it too hard. That's the key, letting the saw do the cutting and being patient. That log is only about 12" wide...:givebeer:

???? It looks like your wife is milling white pine. A 361 would handle that just fine, just don't push it too hard. That's the key, letting the saw do the cutting and being patient. That log is only about 12" wide...:givebeer:

That's a good argument. I was more or less suggesting a lifetime of milling - compare a 60cc saw to a 70cc+ saw and you'd obviously find the 70cc+ saw would be in better shape.

That's a good argument. I was more or less suggesting a lifetime of milling - compare a 60cc saw to a 70cc+ saw and you'd obviously find the 70cc+ saw would be in better shape.
Jason, I totally agree, but any amount of milling is pretty hard on a saw if one is pushing it...people push and burn up 80cc saws!

Just like all tools, it's relative to what needs to be done. It is possible to mill and build a cabin with a 361, given some patience. I'm certain some of our forefather's would have loved to have a 361 to cut with...

For that matter, if you really want to earn some respect for our forefather's, grab a broad ax and hew a log by hand, or use an adz...that will make you appreciate even a 361! :cheers:

Jason, I totally agree, but any amount of milling is pretty hard on a saw if one is pushing it...people push and burn up 80cc saws!

Just like all tools, it's relative to what needs to be done. It is possible to mill and build a cabin with a 361, given some patience. I'm certain some of our forefather's would have loved to have a 361 to cut with...

For that matter, if you really want to earn some respect for our forefather's, grab a broad ax and hew a log by hand, or use an adz...that will make you appreciate even a 361! :cheers:

Can't argue with that brother. Can't argue with that. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back