My wood hauling rigs what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatchetJaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
PHP:
my Riding mower a Poulan for short wood hunting trips I know its not a wheel-horse anymore but its the next best thing . my 84 Hinda 200S for medium long or scouting expeditions .and my 78 GMC Sierra Grande with my double axle flatbed I use to haul my wood here in whole log form simplifies the process . and of course my camper for extended firewood outing's.

Last edited:
Old Chevy, the best, 350 engine?, turbo 400 or 4 speed tranny? Great trucks, probably still going after the new junk is toast.

yep I like it better

it is more reliable then some of the new rigs just good ol points n coil type
has a 350 with the turbo 400 posi and 1 ton overloads. has a 680 qaudrapuke by eldel brock.:greenchainsaw:

I've got an 89 s-10 4x4 that is used for going into deep woods and dragging trees around. Then I use my '99 olds bravada (same as a blazer) and a 4x6 trailer to get it home (only 5 miles). Used to use the s-10 exclusivly, but the frame is broken and its not roadworthy anymore... plus i can fit 3x the wood in the trailer than i can in the truck.

I use

Little

Big

and Bigger

I like having choiceI find that each trailer works great for certain things.

The Ranger gets used for "quickie" trips or when weather and ground conditions won't allow for tractor access. Otherwise it's usually my New Holland 2120 & 4' x 8' trailer.

Ed
attachment.php

it is more reliable then some of the new rigs just good ol points n coil type
has a 350 with the turbo 400 posi and 1 ton overloads. has a 680 qaudrapuke by eldel brock.:greenchainsaw:
HEY i have one of those 'brocks' it just needs tender loving care once in a while :D
oh and i love your little 3-wheeler, havn'et seen one in years....

Love my old chevy, but going to hate to part with it but would like a newer 1ton oil burner that the wife can drive to get wood and i wont' have to worry about it breaking down..:(

only the truck here is mine the other 'tools' belong to another member here.

DSC04365small.jpg

try doing this to your brand new tailgate

DSC02933SMALL.jpg

I like having choiceI find that each trailer works great for certain things.
:cheers: i agree.. i have two small trailers for tractors and then the big one
for the wife's trips and long long long trips to get wood, much more comfetable.
DSC03435small.jpg

and of course we can't forget the wheel horse

DSC04418small.jpg

This is my 94 chevy 2500 4x4 loaded with oak last winter. We had to lift those chunks up there with a loader tractor they were too heavy to lift.

I bought a 1997 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel last year for hauling wood. I love this truck. It has a NV4500 5 speed transmission that is the same one they put in tow trucks, a Dana 60 axle up front and a Dana 80 in the rear. My truck has the towing package which means one tone springs. It has the Cummins 12 valve diesel engine which many say is the best engine ever put in a pickup truck. It has no computer controls and is fully mechanical. Less to break or go wrong. Along with all that I get 21 MPG on the highway! I weighed my truck at the dump once and I came in at 7400 pounds empty with me in it.

The DPO made a rack at the front of the bed directly behind the cab out of an old lumber rack. I don’t know what happened to the rest of the rack. He put a heavy steel grate directly behind the rear window and mounted rear lights around the rack for visibility. With that rack back there I don’t worry about a piece of wood breaking loose and busting out my rear window.

I have had a cord of oak on it and have gone up hills no problem. I built a retaining wall and they put three pallets of block on the truck before I decided to weigh a load. The pallets weighted 3300 pounds each. I didn’t even touch the helper springs. I love this truck.

I tried to attach a picture. I hope it works.

Latest posts

Back