Mysterious tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavener

Reaction score
I have a tree in my yard and have been wondering what kind of tree it is for a long time. I have looked in all the tree books in my local library and everywhere on the internet. But i can not find a match for the tree anywhere.
The tree is a hardwood tree that is grayish white and has giraffe like spots towards the top and flakey light brown bark towards the bottom. The closest bark that looks like my tree is the japanese stewartia. The bark is almost identical but my tree has different color bark. If anyone has any kind of imformation or clue to what kind of tree is, please reply or e-mail me. Thanks
I have attatched a picture i took in the winter when there weren't any leaves on the tree

Knowing what the leaves look like might help us. As well as your climate zone.
Welcome to the site, BTW. :p

It could be a type of Sycamore or Planetree (Platanus species). Sycamore leaves resemble a maple but are usually larger and alternately attached rather than opposite. Let us know your area or zone and describe the leaves. Are there any seeds, flowers, or fruit?

leaves

The trees don't have any fruit and flowers that i know of. The leaves look a lot like sycamore, they were very similar, but at the bottom of the sycamore, it sloped down and mine sloped up. The trees are right on the connecticut river in south eastern vermont. Thanks

Upon review, I think you probably have a London planetree, Platanus x acerifolia, a hybrid of the American Sycamore and the Oriental Planetree. This is a very popular tree with a wide range. The tree flourishes in wet areas, especially along rivers.

thanks

Thank you treeman, thats what i thought it was after i spent all afternoon searching for imformation. I have finally figured it out. Thanks

Back